|Resident Care Aide|
Resident Care Aide
Company : Government of the Northwest Territories
Salary : $66,000–$79,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Norman Wells, NT.
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
Resident Care Aides provide 24-hour culturally sensitive care to residents of the 18 bed L TC facility. During every shift there is a minimum of one RN and one RCA on duty to provide that care. The incumbent reports directly to the Nursing Clinical Care Coordinator and is under the direct supervision of an RN Team Leader at all times. The RCA role is required to work a rotation of shifts: days, evening and nights where by an RN will take a lead role in the provision of care and the incumbent will report to the RN during these shifts. The incumbent is one of 12 Resident Care Aides, (RCA); and 5 Relief Personal Support Workers. The RCA will maintain hygiene, ensure safety and comfort, facilitate physical activity, promote wellness, and encourage independence and mental well-being of the residents in a respectful and compassionate manner.
Residents within the Norman Wells Long Term Care Facility are individuals requiring support for Activities of Daily Living (ADL's), instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL's), for complex physical, cognitive/mental health challenges with associated behaviors and who require 24 hour care and supervision. The residents' medical outcomes must be stable and predictable. Residents within the facility are visited a minimum of once every three months or more frequently as required by a locum physician.
- Knowledge of and an ability to apply standard first aid and CPR in order to preserve life and promote healing.
- Knowledge of and an ability to provide basic home nursing and support,
- Knowledge of drugs and drug interaction.
- Knowledge of healthy aging process.
- Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms.
- An ability to apply bandages dressings and/ or splints.
- An ability to use nursing equipment (including but not limited to Hoyer Lift, Commode Tub, etc.).
- Ability to operate basic medical equipment; required to assess patient vital statistics and condition (i.e. thermometer, stethoscope, blood pressure apparatus, Blood Glucose Monitor, scissors, simple suction equipment, stretchers, etc.).
- An ability to speak, read and write English (this includes and ability to follow verbal and written instruction from nursing, medical and dental personnel and interpret health information accurately - following the Medical Interpreter's Guide).
- The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times.
Typically, the above gualifications would be attained by:
The completion of a Personal Support Worker or Resident Care Aide certification program or equivalent education and experience.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.