|Portfolio Manager (MD Signature)|
Portfolio Manager (MD Signature)
Company : Scotiabank
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Quebec
Requisition ID: 159809
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
For more than 50 years, MD Financial Management has provided Canada’s physicians and their families with discerning and timely financial guidance. We take pride in knowing physicians best, understanding the challenges and decisions they will face from medical school through to retirement. As a non-commission financial institution, our differentiator has always been our commitment to offering clients advice based on their best interests.
We are looking for a new team member who understands the importance of taking care of those who are committed to taking care of us. An individual who not only thrives on nurturing existing relationships, but is motivated by the opportunity to build trusted, long-term connections with new clients. A person who appreciates the opportunity to work as part of a team of experts to provide tailored solutions that address every aspect of the physician lifecycle.
The Portfolio Manager, MD Signature, occupies a key role within MD Financial Management. Working as dedicated advisor to our high-net-worth clients, the Signature Portfolio Manager will leverage their years of experience delivering discretionary investment management services, along with their ability to work with a team of experts to conduct comprehensive financial planning for our high-net-worth clients to foster, maintain and strengthen client relationships.
How You Will Contribute:
Reporting to the Regional VP, MD Signature Private Wealth Management, as a Portfolio Manager, MD Signature, you will play a key client relationship management role for MD’s most affluent clients. Your guidance will be based on a holistic understanding of their financial goals and challenges, as well as their personal circumstances. Through focused listening and singular client engagement, you will actively work to help your clients understand the value of your recommendations by taking the time to explain investment options in a way that is meaningful to them.
As the owner of the end-to-end client experience, you will coordinate the MD Signature Team comprised of Financial Planners, Estate and Trust Advisors, Insurance Consultants and Taxation Specialists to deliver customized financial plans and specific investment strategies. You will be accountable for ensuring client needs are pro-actively addressed in alignment with their current financial situation and life stage, as well as their future aspirations.
You will be accountable for the identification and development of new opportunities to prospect and grow the MD Signature client base, while ensuring retention of clients through focused relationship management and co-ownership of the client’s financial plan.
- You will participate in discovery meetings, working with Financial Planners and other advisors within the team to develop client wealth plans.
- You will be responsible for assessing client objectives and risk tolerance, calibrating investment solutions based on client input and cues, developing, and implementing the appropriate written Investment Policy Statement, including the gathering of client personal information, determining asset allocation, and identifying special needs and liquidity requirements.
- You will communicate and explain to clients the individual fund manager's strategy, including management style and view of each Pool held in the portfolio, MD's strategic and tactical view on markets and the economy, and overall portfolio performance.
- You will analyze securities for transfer in-kind due to capital gain/loss reasons, analyze segregated stocks and bonds to determine classification, suitability, and eventual disposition/tranching-in strategies, review credit quality and duration of fixed income investments, analyze industry, sector, and country allocation as it pertains to equity investments.
- You will facilitate client reviews including discussion of portfolio performance, periodic reviews of appropriateness of objectives and of tax situation and cash flow needs.
- You will participate in client events, facilitate seminars and information meetings throughout the region (both client facing and internally), and implement marketing strategies to provide advice and information concerning investment programs and related services.
- You will be responsible for understanding how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.You work to assist in developing client understanding and education of Private Investment products and MD Management solutions, in conjunction with a robust planning process assisted by our MD Signature Financial Planners.
What MD Expects of You:
- The desire to lead by example –encouraging others to model your growth mindset, initiative, accountability, change agility, integrity, and pro-active relationship-building and prospecting skills.
- A commitment to an exceptional client experience - regularly delivering an exemplary experience built on a foundation of client first, mutual trust and high integrity.
- A desire to learn – to further your knowledge of not only MD products, but also advanced financial planning concepts including income tax, investment trends and products, and any other issues that could impact MD clients.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a broader team.
- Confidence – in yourself, in MD’s products, and in the solutions you recommend.
The Must Haves:
- University degree in business, commerce or equivalent degree related to the practice of financial planning.
- Demonstrated experience delivering discretionary investment management services to high-net-worth clients.
- Must be registered, or have the ability to become immediately registered, with the appropriate provincial securities commission as a Portfolio Manager.
- Must be a CFA charter holder (including 12 months of relevant investment management experience subject to regulatory approval) or possess their Chartered Investment Manager (CIM) designation (including 24 months of relevant investment management experience subject to regulatory approval).
- Knowledge and understanding of critical macro-economic issues for their potential financial impact on clients’ investment portfolios coupled with the ability to articulate MD’s macro view of the economy, markets and global issues and incorporate this perspective into the firm’s capital market return assumptions and advice regarding clients’ investment goals and strategies.
- Strong interest in financial planning and implementation, preferably complemented by a financial planning designation (CFP).
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to achieve such.
- We believe an inclusive and diverse work environment makes for happy and productive employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families.
- We know that financial security is important to you and we’re here to help – competitive salaries and incentive programs, a defined contribution pension plan and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is a non-negotiable – we offer a generous paid time off program in which the benefits increase along with your tenure with MD. Our team environment ensures you’re able to take time off without worrying about your clients.
- We understand that cost-effective banking solutions mean more money in your pocket – through our partnership with Scotia, we offer a variety of preferred banking, credit card, mortgage and home/auto insurance options and discounts.
- We love discounts. Through the WorkPerks program, as an employee of MD you’ll have access to thousands of discounts with various vendors across Canada.
Location(s): Canada : Quebec : Quebec
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.