|Office Support Clerk II|
Office Support Clerk II
Company : Vancover Police Department
Salary : $24.88 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Office Support Clerk IIRequisition ID: 37114
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is office support work of some variety and complexity. Incumbents of positions assigned to this class require a sound knowledge of office practices and procedures and may require some specialized skill training. The work involves providing information and assistance to the public on routine matters. The work is differentiated from that of the Office Support Clerk I by the greater complexity of the clerical tasks. After a period of on-the-job training, employees of this class work with a minimum of direct supervision as the work is performed according to defined work methods and procedures. Some independence of action is exercised in scheduling work tasks or in the more repetitive aspects of the work. Work is reviewed by a superior in terms of accuracy, completeness and conformance to established work methods.
Specific Duties / Responsibilities:
- Receives and verifies cash and cheques in payment of accounts; makes change and issues correct receipts; balances cash and compiles summary sheets.
- Operates a computer terminal to enter and update records; modifies or removes records; produces standard reports.
- Opens, sorts and batches mailed payments and applies payments to accounts.
- Processes, cheques and maintains a variety of office records, forms, files, reports, statistics, documents and related material; posts entries to simple records; processes incoming and outgoing mail as per departmental procedures.
- Answers inquiries and provides assistance by telephone or in person, ascertains nature of inquiries or complaints and gathers information in order to respond or refer caller as necessary; explains departmental rules and regulations; prepares correspondence using established formats.
- Provides information and assistance regarding the nature, activities and services of the organization to the public at a central information booth or switchboard; directs more detailed inquiries to the appropriate department or staff member; dispenses pamphlets, brochures, maps and other material of an informative nature.
- Transcribes from copy, rough draft, or general instructions a variety of material using word processing software and hardware to enter, record, recall, revise and print the data; as required, establishes appropriate format; reviews work for punctuation, spelling and grammatical correctness.
- Assists in the collation and preparation of elementary statistical reports and tabulations involving some arithmetic calculations.
- Provides admin support to one or more senior positions; interviews callers, screens calls, makes and cancels appointments, processes confidential matters; prepares routine correspondence; may take and transcribe dictation.
- Performs related work as required
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the 12th school grade including or supplemented by courses in commercial subjects, typing, word processing and some related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the practices and procedures used in the operation of word processing equipment and of its capabilities as related to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Sound knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of departmental and other regulations, rules, procedures and practices that relate to the position occupied or which govern worksite activities and employee behaviour.
- Working knowledge of departmental functions, responsibilities and activities.
- Ability to perform a variety of clerical, data entry, word-processing, bookkeeping, secretarial, receptionist or other office support functions.
- Ability to prepare routine reports, correspondence and memoranda related to the work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public and other staff in supplying factual information and assistance.
- Skill in typing (keyboarding) rapidly and accurately where applicable to the position.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2022
Position End Date: February 10, 2023
Number of Positions: 3
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $24.88 to $29.13 per hour
Application Close: September 25, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Education : Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience : Experience an asset