|Manager, Natural Environment & Adaptation|
Manager, Natural Environment & Adaptation
Company : City of Calgary
Salary : $99,744–$156,928 a year
Location : Alberta
Reporting to the Director of Climate & Environment, the Manager, Natural Environment & Adaptation is accountable to lead a team in this newly established division. In addition to shaping this new division, you will provide leadership, strategic oversight, accountability and cross-corporate collaboration for The City of Calgary’s natural environment and adaptation responsibilities, including environmental planning and policy, climate adaptation, and environmental programs.
You will be expected to foster an inclusive leadership approach that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as psychological and physical safety. You are a strategic thinker, with demonstrated political acumen, change leadership, policy development skills, and the ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships. Primary accountabilities include:
- Provide divisional strategic direction and oversight in support of a new natural environment and climate adaptation division, including environmental planning, land use and policy, climate adaptation, and environmental programs.
- Lead and advocate for climate resilience, watershed planning, and environmental sustainability in collaboration with other groups on behalf of The City of Calgary, its citizens, communities, and businesses.
- Lead the development and stewardship of environmental policies and strategies, environmental programs, and citizen-focused programs, outreach, and education.
- Lead and guide both internal and external climate resilience and adaptation strategies, policies, and actions.
- Develop and foster relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve watershed management objectives, climate adaptation goals, and implementation of environmental programs.
- Maintain strategic relationships and function as a liaison to federal and provincial regulatory and funding bodies, industry, water management partners, non-governmental organizations (NGO’s) and community groups.
- Manage the division’s operating budget and guide investment into capital infrastructure investments.
- Represent The City's interests in climate adaptation and natural environment priorities in city-shaping, land-use planning, and policy.
- Participate in and potentially steward Service Teams for Climate and Environmental Management, and other related service lines.
- Manage and guide teams in the development of data, analytics, and reporting for climate adaptation and natural environmental metrics, as well as citizen-facing.
- Supervise staff and oversee career development, performance management, and recruitment activities. Ensures employees are provided with an engaging and safe work environment.
- Engage the Service Directors, the Water Service Team Council on matters of watershed planning, strategy, policy, and programs.
- A degree in a climate or environment related field (for example: Environmental Engineering, Climate Change Science, Earth Science, Environmental Geoscience), Urban Planning, Public Administration or a related field.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience in a complex organization, including in climate or environment functions.
- Experience in municipal and regional planning, watershed resiliency, natural asset management, environmental outreach and education, and climate adaptation approaches are considered assets.
- A Master of Business Administration (MBA) is also an asset.
- Success in this position requires inclusive leadership and/or safety leadership, effective communication, conflict management skills, strong relationship building with internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to work with others and independently to meet deadlines.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education will be considered.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.