|Innovation Investment Advisor - Digital & Emerging Technologies|
Innovation Investment Advisor - Digital & Emerging Technologies
Company : National Research Council Canada
Salary : $105,785–$148,657 a year
Location : Quebec
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for Innovation Investment Advisors (IIA) to join the NPO, to support the NRCs Collaborative Science, Technology, and Innovation Programs focusing on the advancement of Digital & Emerging Technologies.
IIAs work closely with Program Directors to ensure that NRC’s Collaboration Programs achieve their outcomes. They are responsible for performing an impartial advisory role by credibly assessing and performing due diligence on program and project proposals by applying their technical, business, and sector specific knowledge and experience in delivering support to (and as applicable managing) research and technology programs. This includes ensuring that the design and execution of program/project proposals are sound and of high research excellence, and are aligned to deliver on identified priorities.
They advise on NRC resource and funding investments, establish strategic co-funding partnerships, and help shape the design of programs through stakeholder engagement and the establishment of expert advisory committees. They are also responsible for monitoring and reporting on the allocation of grants and contribution funding to NRC collaborators working on projects in support of Collaborative R&D and Ideation Programs. This includes: managing a G&C budget; delivering competitive funding calls; negotiation complex collaborative research funding agreements; and providing leadership in issues management by proactively identifying potential problems, trends or risks that could impact the R&D programs and working in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to address them.
They are expected to develop, manage and navigate a diverse set of relationships including NRC researchers, different levels of management and a varying number of external national and international collaborators and stakeholders.
IIAs have the opportunity to shape existing and new national initiatives to facilitate collaboration between academia, industry and other organizations nationally and internationally and NRC’s highly qualified multidisciplinary teams to deliver impact for Canadians.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
A post-secondary degree in Science, or Engineering in a discipline related to the position from a recognized university.
A post- graduate degree and/or a complimentary business degree, program management certification would be considered an asset.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Significant experience within at least one of the following scientific, technological areas and/or industry sectors:
- Quantum Science;
- Cybersecurity, Telecommunications;
- Photonics, optics, advance electronics;
- Computer Science and Digital Technologies;
- Digital Intelligence, AI (Artificial Intelligence), Machine Learning.
- Significant experience managing a diverse set of stakeholders relationships spanning the government, academic and private sectors, with researchers, managers and research administrators.
- Significant experience in performing an oversight advising role within a scientific or research environment, including providing technical and/or policy advice to senior management (Director level and above).
- Experience performing technical review and detailed due diligence on projects or proposals including assessment of research and technology plans and the assessment of project finances.
- Experience in the negotiation and management of complex funding agreements.
- Significant refers to at least 3 years of experience.
- Experience in delivering and/or administrating grant and contribution programs in the public service context will be considered an asset.
- Experience in working with international partners and collaborators will be considered an asset.
Condition of Employment
Must be able to travel locally, nationally and/or internationally.
Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB, English
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Effective interpersonal skills to work with cooperatively and effectively with a broad range of client, colleagues and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the NRC, and its mandate, programs and awareness of the characteristics and special requirements of an innovation program and scientific research environment.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information, assess risks and opportunities and make recommendation on potential courses of action.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership in communicating a vision and bringing different communities together to catalyze something new initiatives.
- Advanced knowledge of technology, innovation and commercialization issues and trends within the sector/or region relating to the position
- Solid knowledge of project management.
- Knowledge of the machinery of federal government in regards to implementation of grants and contribution programs is considered an asset.
- Management services - Communication (Level 3)
- Management services - Initiative (Level 3)
- Management services - Networking (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Client focus (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Results orientation (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Teamwork (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Management Services; Technology Extension.
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
The intent of this hiring action is to staff this position at the RCO-3 to RCO-4 level, which is an intermediate to senior-career level position with a salary range of $105,785 to $148,657.
NOTE: Please note that the full RCO salary scale has five levels. Salary determination will be based on a review of the candidate’s expertise, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience relative to the requirements of the level. As such, the initial salary could be within another level of the RCO salary scale (i.e. above or below the intended level for this position).
In addition, the incumbent who meets the language requirements will receive the Bilingualism Bonus of $800 per year.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- There are screening questions to complete as part of your application. Please read the instructions carefully.
- Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet the experience factors listed on the poster. Candidates must use the experience criteria as a header and then write one or two paragraphs demonstrating how they meet them by providing concrete examples. In addition, the candidate is encouraged to describe in detail when, where and how they gained the experience. Failure to provide an appropriate cover letter will result in the rejection of your application. Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- Candidates who have Second Language Evaluation (SLE) test results should include these results with their application.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (17768) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 26 September 2022 - 23:59 Eastern Time