|Electrical Technologist – Operations|
Electrical Technologist – Operations
Company : Nunavut Government
Salary : $99,486–$124,530 a year
Location : Nunavut
Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC 22-019 Electrical Technologist – Operations
The Electrical Technologist - Operations is responsible for designing, updating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing control systems for all power generation facilities across the territory. The position is also responsible for providing technical support to Operations and Engineering staff on matters related to plant control systems.
This occupation is governed in accordance with various corporate, territorial, and national standards including: Canadian Electrical Code (CEC), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Fire Code (NFC), and other relevant safety standards, including Corporate and territorial policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Travels to territorial generation facilities to investigate and troubleshoot system failures and conduct maintenance on equipment to ensure efficient operation of protection, control, and metering systems.
- Manages, organizes, and prepares documentation to support modifications and upgrades to new and existing control systems in territorial generation facilities.
- Reviews automation process, writes programming specifications, and ensures control systems meet plant specifications.
- Coordinates with engineers, project managers, maintenance crews, operators, and contractors to provide technical support and advice for capital and recoverable projects.
- Coordinates with stakeholders in Engineering, Operations, and Finance departments in order to plan and execute maintenance and repairs of control systems in territorial generation facilities.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Completion of an advanced diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Three years of experience designing, updating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing protection, control, and metering systems.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Certified Technician (C.Tech.) is an asset.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $99,486.40 to $124,529.60 and a northern living allowance of $16,008.00 per annum. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program. Subsidized staff housing is available. This position is included in the Nunavut Employee’s Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to [email protected] or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing by September 23, 2022.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.