|Civil Engineer II - Utility Growth Program Lead|
Civil Engineer II - Utility Growth Program Lead
Company : Vancover Police Department
Salary : $102,256 a year
Location : British Columbia
Civil Engineer II - Utility Growth Program LeadRequisition ID: 36797
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Manager, Development Water Resources Branch and working closely with the Senior Development Servicing Engineer and other City departments, the Utility Growth Program Lead provides leadership and expertise to manage the Vancouver Utilities Development Cost Levy (UDCL) program. The position develops strategies to optimize public infrastructure investments by using Best Practices through strategic asset management and water management policies to support the growth of the City.
The position works with other City departments and stakeholders to identify water, sewer and drainage system expansions and upgrade needs driven by growth and development to assist in calibrating the Engineering Services Capital program to achieve water management deliverables in conjunction with other infrastructure improvements to achieve multiple benefits and to maximize value.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops the UDCL investment in the current and near-term Engineering Services Capital program while considering financial, risks, commitments, and alignment with Council priorities
- Administers the Vancouver Utilities Development Cost Levy By-Law including by-law amendments and rate setting
- Provides guidance to the Engineering Services Capital program (across service groups) to achieve water management deliverables in conjunction with other infrastructure improvements
- Develops long term strategies to optimize water, sewer, and drainage public infrastructure investments
- Coordinates with other Engineering branches and stakeholders to identify and schedule water management projects
- Supports engineering efforts in planning for the elimination of combined sewer overflows to meet Metro Vancouver’s Liquid Waste Management Plan
- Contributes and participates with Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability on community plan projects at the city-wide and/or neighbourhood scale
- Provides guidance, mentorship and training to branch team members
- Prepares technical reports, Council Reports, presentations, letters and memos
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with a Professional Engineer designation and minimum of eight years’ related experience in infrastructure planning, including identifying water and sewer infrastructure needs, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- Experience in working with capital projects and budget processes
- Thorough knowledge and application of engineering principles related to municipal infrastructure, hydraulics and hydrology
- Working knowledge of combined sewer infrastructure operation, sewer separation and CSO elimination planning methods
- Knowledge of the Regional Liquid Waste Management Plan and Provincial and Federal Environmental Regulations and related municipal responsibilities
- Knowledge of development cost models or bylaws
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to make sound decisions and resolve complex problems
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and engage staff
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Strong conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop, manage and assess capital project budgets
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $102,256 to $127,830 per year
Application Close: October 7, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Education : Bachelor’s degree
Experience : Experience an asset