Company : The City of Vancouver
Salary : $89,283–$111,609 a year
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 36933
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Program Manager, Engineering Technology, the Business Analyst is responsible for leading business process improvements related to asset management, work management or permitting processes and leveraging technical solutions for Engineering Services. A primary focus of the role will be on managing technology projects for land development and permitting related processes, with a specific emphasis on supporting the permitting system (POSSE) enhancements. This position is responsible for developing business cases as well as detailed costs/benefits for proposed technology projects, and manages all phases of the Engineering-managed technology projects including planning, execution, control and closeout.
The Business Analyst also manages project teams or coordinates cross department resources to successfully deliver the projects and is responsible for timely delivery of the projects within budget and to a high level of quality, and will work with key business stakeholders and user representatives such as IT product owners, IT architecture analysts, contractors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Elicits business requirements for new products and processes using business analysis elicitation techniques such as requirements workshops
- Conducts business process analyses, using Lean/ Six Sigma or similar methodologies, to conduct value stream mapping, identify relevant KPIs, complete current state analysis, develop future state recommendations and build an implementation plan for a variety of business processes and value streams.
- Creates and presents project and business level reports or topics to project team members, project stakeholders and senior executives, including creating and distributing communications materials.
- Oversees all aspects of project delivery from planning out the projects in detail, clearly identifying project scope, budget and schedule as well as project risks, project organization and the project management approach.
- Participates in confidential planning that may have City-wide operational and financial implications, develops and makes recommendations that may result in the re-assignment of responsibilities between staff or organizational units within the City, and in the reduction of or increase to staff complement.
- Conducts data analyses and develops new reports for operational groups based on data from permitting system (POSSE), asset management system and other city solutions.
- Provides support and training to the department’s POSSE users as required for enhancements
- Supports end users in developing dashboards and metrics reports using various tools
- Assists the business in tracking, reporting and producing status dashboards on key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics.
- Leads strategic planning of technology needs, future direction and deployment for engineering branch processes across Engineering Services.
- Develops specifications for IT acquisitions, writes Requests for Proposal (RFPs) documents, Statements of Work (SOW), evaluates responses and makes recommendations from the perspective of the overall business/technology fit.
- Works with departmental business groups to identify business requirements and with IT groups to identify technology requirements; participating in or conducting meetings as required.
- Acts as the departmental representative at City-Wide committee meeting as required
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or a related discipline and a minimum five years of related experience in implementing third party business solutions or developing in-house built solutions, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience with the Agile Methodology and the iterative approach to solution development.
- Experience in quality improvement tools, techniques and methodologies such as Lean and/or Six Sigma.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of application reporting and BI tools such as PowerBI; SQL and SQL Reporting; complex data sets, statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies;
- Good understanding of Project Management and Organizational Change Management principles, methods and processes.
- Effective organizational and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate priorities and deliver high-quality and timely results under tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to write effectively, organize and maintain the body of project documentation prepare status reports, prepare effective presentations and summaries.
- Ability to develop a test plan and test cases, and oversee testing activities necessary to assess the quality and completion of system implementations
- Ability to speak effectively in public through formal and informal meetings and presentations across all levels of the organization
- Ability to conduct research, analyze and solve complex problems, summarize results and make decisions or recommendations in clear and compelling terms.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, discretion and tact in dealing with confidential matters
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both customers and team members.
- High level of proficiency with software programs and applications (e.g.: advanced usage of Excel, pivot tables, BI tools).
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2022
Salary Information: Salary Range 80: $89,283 to $111,609 per annum
Application Close: October 7, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.