|Technical Analyst (Computer Services Officer 1(A)-(B)-2(A)-(C))|
Technical Analyst (Computer Services Officer 1(A)-(B)-2(A)-(C))
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $2,977–$5,377 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 8/16/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "Nova Scotia Digital Service" if you crave meaningful work and want to create change like we do.
The Nova Scotia Digital Service of the Department of Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services is a leader in client focused service delivery. This branch is responsible for all NS Government departments, agencies, boards and commissions’ technology services and support as well as supporting Nova Scotia Health (NSH) and the Sir Izaak Walton Killam Health Center (IWK).
The scale and scope of what Nova Scotia Digital Service does may surprise you. The rapid pace of change makes it a business imperative for us to be smart and open-minded in the way we think about technology. The Province’s technology and business teams become more intertwined as new opportunities present themselves.
About Our Opportunity
As a Technical Analyst, you would provide IT support in a continuous operational environment for critical services within the shared services mandate of the Department of Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services. You will provide support to government departments, boards, agencies commissions and offices, as well as NSH and the IWK.
You may be the first point of contact for clients and represent the front face of the organization. You will be required to deal with clients of various personalities and levels of IT knowledge in determining the root cause of their problem before initiating a plan of resolution. You must have the ability to use common, non-technical language when necessary. You play a key role in supporting the core Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Service Support processes to ensure consistent level of services.
Other Responsibilities of a Technical Analyst:
- Exhibit strong client service skills and provide a timely and efficient service within established standards.
- Ensure the client is well-informed of the necessary steps to resolve their issues and maintain a professional and positive attitude when interacting with clients and coworkers.
- Gain knowledge of the importance of your client’s priorities, possible causes of the issue, know who to ask for assistance, and the affect it has on the client/public when their IT services are not working.
- Know what level of service should be provided and communicate that to the client, as this will result in the individual feeling that they have been treated with professionalism, respect, and confidence.
- Provide remote/onsite Tier 1 and Tier 2 support including desktop hardware, software, and printers
- Record and document hardware/software problems, system crashes, actions and solutions.
- Follow established procedures to record knowledge articles and share knowledge with co-workers.
- Participate in projects and initiatives as part of a project team within the work unit, and complete tasks as assigned by the manager, project manager, or supervisor/coordinator to ensure an efficient and effective implementation.
You will also have the following skills or experience:
- Capacity to manage various tasks while maintaining task deadlines under pressure and a strong attention to detail;
- Continued knowledge of new and emerging technologies;
- Knowledge of desktop hardware, software, printers, Windows desktop OS (7 and above), and Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft Office Suite or Office 365, Outlook, Skype For Business;
- Experience working with support tools such as remote PC management, antivirus, and incident management tools to resolve customer requests in a timely fashion;
- Strong understanding of Windows Group Policy administration and knowledge of the Microsoft Tools Suite (Active Directory Services, DNS, DHCP, SCCM, Intune)
- Demonstrate prioritization skills, sound judgment, excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to work well in a dynamic team environment where innovative thinking and excellent client service are part of the culture;
- Provide on-call support as required to ensure appropriate device and application availability in accordance with predefined on call schedules and processes.
- Must have access to reliable transportation while providing on-call support; and,
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
A Foundations certificate in Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) would be an asset.
This posting will be used to fill one permanent position.
Due to the nature of this position supporting health clients, you will be required to work onsite and work locations may be anywhere in NSH Central Zone or IWK
You will be required to participate in the scheduled on-call rotation for frontline support (onsite) after standard business hours and on weekends.
This competition may be used within 4 months to fill similar positions in other areas of Nova Scotia should they become available
An immunization form needs to be completed confirming immunity to the following, or that bloodwork or vaccinations are scheduled or in progress:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (vaccination date)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (vaccination date)
- Varicella (vaccination date, or bloodwork to confirm antibodies that would be present if the person had chicken pox)
Adhere to the NS Gov Vaccine Mandate of being fully COVID-19 vaccinated prior to the start date
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
An example of an equivalency would be:
- Bachelors degree would be equivalent to: 4 years of related experience OR a 2 year college diploma with 2 years of related experience.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
- In this role, on-call Support is required. The successful candidate must have access to reliable transportation while providing on-call support.
- Work locations may be anywhere in NSH Central Zone or IWK
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: PR 01 - PR 11
Salary Range: $1,488.35 - $2,688.50 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]