|Office and Program Assistant (Community Centre)|
Office and Program Assistant (Community Centre)
Company : City of Kitchener
Salary : $27.37–$34.22 an hour
Location : Ontario
Office and Program Assistant (Community Centre)
July 26, 2022
August 2, 2022
The City of Kitchener is a vibrant and dynamic city of approximately 240,000, in the heart of southwestern Ontario. As the largest municipality in Waterloo Region, Kitchener continues to be poised for development and growth, enhancing its reputation as a leader in city-building and innovation, with nationally recognized strategies to build its neighbourhoods, its digital infrastructure and its diverse economy.
The City of Kitchener is WHERE you want to work! Learn more about the top reasons to join us:
Why work at the City of Kitchener
The successful applicant will find themselves working in a fast-paced community centre environment. The Office and Program Assistant is accountable for the day to day administrative tasks, working with other community centre staff and volunteers, and interacting with patrons employing a customer service focused approach. The Office and Program Assistant must utilize effective planning techniques to meet a variety of deadlines.
You might be interested in this role if:
- You have a passion for working with community and neighborhood groups, volunteers and partner organizations.
- You enjoy supporting, mentoring and training other staff members.
- You are an active listener and have developed strong de-escalation techniques.
- You are comfortable working with sensitive populations (ex. precariously housed, those suffering from mental health and addiction issues, etc.).
- You are detail oriented and can adapt to changing priorities.
- A collaborative team player able to work across divisions and departments.
- A problem solver that is focused on the big picture and on forward-thinking approaches.
Please note the applicant may be requirred to work a variety of shifts including evenings, weekends, daytime shifts and holidays.
- Contribute to a collaborative team approach to service delivery amongst community centre staff.
- Provide a consistent level of high-quality customer service, including responding to questions/concerns from the public and community partners, responding to inquiries about rentals and requests for refunds, taking payments and registrations, etc.
- Contribute to the work of the community centre staff team in supporting and executing Neighbourhood Association and another partner events and initiatives in the centre, on the centre property and in surrounding neighborhoods.
- Attend to the day-to-day operations of the centre with emphasis on the coordination of office procedures, identified administrative duties, providing front-line customer service, overseeing the rental, program registration and facility booking processes, and providing administrative support to Neighbourhood Associations, other community partners and centre users.
- Perform administrative and financial tasks, including preparing bank deposits, processing petty cash, daily cash balances.
- Create the community centre staff schedules for approval by the Community Centre Facilitator.
- Contribute to a consistent level of care for the facility, including: identifying facilities management, maintenance, and/or security needs, ensuring maintenance of outdoor spaces (e.g. spot clean or shovel snow, salt entrance), and monitoring and addressing patron behavior issues when required.
- Work with FM staff to ensure appropriate support and scheduling of FM staff at the centre.
- Coordinating payroll functions for centre staff.
Program Registration & Facility Bookings:
- Accountability and oversight for the entire program registration and facility booking process.
- Accountability and oversight for the entire rental process including (but not limited to) responding to inquiries, screening applicants, providing tours, reviewing terms with patrons, accepting/processing payments, making tentative bookings, coordinating and prioritizing room booking schedules, coordinating licenses, insurance and security, and preparing and processing contracts.
- Work with the Community Centre Facilitator to contribute to efforts to achieve the centre revenue targets (program and rentals) through program registration and facility bookings.
- Participate in the production of consumer publications (e.g. Active Kitchener magazine, Neighbourhood Association newsletters etc.).
- Must be reliable with a good attitude and employment record.
- Must possess a high school diploma plus up to one year of related post-secondary courses.
- Must have a minimum of one year of related experience.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including daytime, evening, weekends, late nights and holidays, depending on the needs of the centre.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines and a proven ability to work independently.
- Must have demonstrated experience and ability to work closely with volunteers, youth, neighbourhood association, partners, and the public in a diverse community setting.
- Must have demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication (written and oral), customer service, and behavior management skills.
- Must have demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have experience in administrative coordination and the ability to work effectively in and foster a team environment while applying a strong analytical approach to a variety of situations.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in the use of personal computers using Microsoft office applications.
- Must have demonstrated skills and experience in handling cash, processing payments and bank deposits.
- Must have current Standard First Aid certification CPR-C and AED certification, or be willing to obtain.
- Must be prepared to produce a satisfactory police records check at your own cost, as a condition of employment.
- Experience working with diverse cultural background and/or the ability to speak a language in addition to English would be considered an asset.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR- 110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers , or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full -time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
Neighbourhood Programs and Services
Number of Positions
Hours of Work
Up to 24 hours per week
Williamsburg Community Centre
$27.372 - $34.215
5 (under review)