|Manager, Procurement Operations|
Manager, Procurement Operations
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $6,916–$8,646 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 8/16/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Do you have an innovative mindset? Are you a natural leader that creates a winning culture? Do you understand the voice of the customer? Are you someone that loves the world of procurement and all the dynamics and challenges it brings? Tell us your story and why you want to work with us.
The procurement branch of Nova Scotia's Department of Internal Services is an exciting place to work. We are a growing group of innovative and passionate procurement gurus helping our clients procure the best vendor relationships to support the residents of Nova Scotia.
The Department of Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services are the proud winners of the 2017 IPAC Award for Innovative Management and a public-sector leader. We have also received the award for Excellence in Procurement from the National Procurement Institute three years in a row.
We are recruiting for the Procurement Operations Manager (Construction). We are looking for a unique individual that shares our vision and values in providing quality leadership and support to category managers and procurement specialists.
About Our Opportunity
Leading a team of procurement professionals, you will ensure exceptional service delivery is provided to clients while always understanding the "voice of the customer".
As a leader that cares about building and supporting a dedicated and loyal team, you will have a proven track record in delivering results, promoting engagement, collaboration and leading by example while supporting diversity and a healthy workplace.
In a typical work week, you can expect to:
- Oversee the service delivery aspects of category procurement to our clients within government departments, NSHA and IWK – cycle time, savings, project scheduling, resource utilization and other key performance indicators;
- Support category managers and their procurement specialists by ensuring the most effective and innovative procurement methods are adopted and practiced;
- Meet with clients to provide advice, assess the health of process and service delivery, and understand future demand requirements;
- Work with colleagues from the other procurement operation channels (Health, IT, Construction, Goods and Services, Other Public Sector Entities) to design, modify, implement, and control service delivery processes to help meet client needs; and,
- Work with Corporate Strategy and Business Intelligence groups within Procurement to understand policy, protocols, and trade agreements; design and modify training, process, and communications to employees, vendors and clients.
To be successful in this role, you will have a bachelor's degree in a related discipline (such as, Business Administration, Human Resources, Engineering or Science) and several years of progressive related management experience. An equivalent combination of education and related experience will be considered.
You are someone who will act as a procurement teacher and help build skills and competencies; An individual who makes themselves available to their staff, is hands-on and action-orientated. You try to correct issues before they become problems and manage/mitigate risk(s).
You will also have demonstrated experience in procurement, developing Requests for Proposals and other RFXs for clients, and negotiating agreements. You will have experience in actioning operational plans, delivering persuasive presentations to different levels of the organization, managing service delivery performance, and experience in using lean methodologies to achieve continuous improvement goals.
Demonstrated success in leading, coaching and mentoring others in a diverse environment, team building, employee development and relationship building will assist you in this role.
This position aligns well with candidates who also have:
- Project and change management skills;
- Presentation and negotiation skills;
- Business analysis experience;
- Experience in a public procurement setting, including purchasing of goods, services and/or construction;
- Organization, time management and motivational skills;
- A commitment to focusing on a culture that provides customer service above and beyond what is expected;
- Forward thinking to ensure proper mechanisms are in place to support the evolution of the SNS-IS Procurement, as well as industry changes;
- Ability to identify emerging trends, needs and challenges and drive and implement innovative thinking and change within the organization;
- Ability to execute through effective delegation, motivation and oversight; and,
- A leadership style that is driven, energetic and has a high degree of professional integrity.
Understanding of the construction industry, procurement law and trade agreements and how they work within public procurement environments would be considered an asset.
The Government of Nova Scotia has adopted the LEADS Leadership Framework. During the interview, candidates will be expected to express how they have demonstrated the key behaviours and capabilities required to effectively lead in a caring and inclusive environment. LEADS Domains includes Leads Self, Engage Others, Achieve Results, Develop Coalitions and Systems Transformation.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
The Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: EC 12
Salary Range: $3,458.20 - $4,322.75 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]