|Health and Safety Advisor|
Health and Safety Advisor
Company : Loraas Disposal North Ltd.
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Saskatchewan
We are Saskatchewan’s leader in waste transfer and recycling services; a proudly local company with global standards. For more than 55 years, we’ve been building a reputation of excellence – dedicated to the changing and growing needs of our residential and commercial customers. Our commitment to our customers, our employees, and our environment drives everything we do.
We are currently looking for a Health & Safety Advisor. Reporting to the HR Manager, this individual is responsible for working with current safety personnel to ensure health and safety requirements are met throughout the organization, act as a technical advisor in matters related to safety, legislation, implementing procedures, and reporting and interpreting internal and external data, and offer advice and guidance on legislation, standards, best practices, and safety concerns for multiple sites.
- Champion the company’s health and safety initiatives, processes, and procedures while ensuring compliance with relevant employment and occupational health and safety legislation.
- Continued development of the Health and Safety Program, working to improve outcomes, and updating policy and procedures in coordination with other affected departments.
- Maintain online contractor management databases such as ComplyWorks, ISNetworld, and other databases as required
- Perform Health and Safety Audits to maintain COR status, including annual internal audits and coordinating external audits, maintain status as an internal COR auditor.
- Develop, maintain, and audit databases for internal and external reporting (incident statistics, insurance costs, injury rates, etc.) and tracking trends for areas of improvement and successes of internal programs
- Find resolutions in response to investigations related to concerns or inquiries from workers, management or contactors and direct appropriate action. Act as investigation coordinator for serious incidents and recommend appropriate corrective actions
- Complete workplace inspections internally and in the presence of external agents to ensure regulatory requirements are met and prevention of workplace incidents
- Work with other departments including Human Resources and Operations when coordinating with external insurance agencies such as WCB, SGI Canada, and SGI Automotive.
- Understand and assist all supervisors and managers in the application of the Safety Program
- Prepare, review, and/or edit various documents such as letters, presentations, publications, and reports for internal and external use
- Work with various OHC Committees, find solutions to concerns presented, ensure company expectations and legislative requirements are being met.
- Stay abreast on compliance requirements, industry best practices, trends and upcoming changes; incorporate changes to existing policies and programs to remain in compliance; adopt best practices where feasible
- Assist with the orientation/onboarding of new hires and the training of all employees and contractors where needed.
- Provide support to the Health and Safety team in various tasks as needed
- Other duties as required.
- Degree or certificate in occupational safety and health or a similar discipline, CRSP designation is considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years related experience
- Strong knowledge of provincial employment and health and safety legislation
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel; experience with SiteDocs is an asset
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive or private information with tact and discretion
- Self-motivated with good organizational capability
- Knowledge of industrial, waste disposal, trucking or manufacturing environments is an asset
- Must have reliable vehicle and class 5 driver’s licence to travel to work sites in Saskatoon and area, and willing to provide a driver’s abstract
- Family/team atmosphere where staff are valued and appreciated
- Well-maintained equipment and facilities
- Competitive industry wage rates with annual review
- Annual bonus incentive based upon performance and annual evaluation
- Blue Cross Benefits Plan (coordination with NIHB as secondary provider available)
- Pension Plan with increasing employer contributions with years of service
- Health and Wellness spending accounts after 2 years of service
- Opportunities for learning, advancement, personal growth, and challenge
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Bonus pay
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saskatoon, SK S7K 8G7: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Health and Safety: 4 years (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (required)