Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Financial Reporting and Accounting Services, the Financial Analyst is responsible for performing a variety of advanced accounting projects, review and analysis. These responsibilities include the implementation of new accounting standards across departments and other special projects in support of the department. The Financial Analyst will participate in year-end accounting duties including the preparation of the detailed financial statement book and participate in the preparation of the Financial Statement Discussion and Analysis.
Flexible work arrangements may be available under Administrative Standard AS-018 - Flexible Workplace; subject to review and approval.
As the Financial Analyst, you will:
- Undertake projects in support of the Corporate Controllers’ Division.
- Implement new accounting standards.
- Develop recommendations and prepares relevant position papers, submissions, reports, recommendations and other correspondence for use in the decision-making process of the City.
- Plan and coordinate the process with the City Actuary for providing financial data to be utilized for determining the City’s accrued sick leave, council pension plan and supplementary pension benefits liabilities.
- Develop and monitor an internal control framework including the development of financial policies and the monitoring of policies.
- Prepare the annual financial statement detail book, which includes review of departmental submissions, including accounting policy decisions.
- Participate in the preparation of the Financial Statement Discussion and Analysis and review information for consistency and style.
- Deliver financial services support to the Councillor’s Pension Plan and Corporate Controller’s Division.
- Prepare consolidation journal entries including analysis of working papers to support entries as well as prepares year-end variance analysis.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce (preferably with a finance/accounting major).
- Professional accounting designation in good standing. (CPA)
- Two (2) years of experience preparing and analyzing financial statements, financial reports, budgets and financial projections.
- Two (2) years of experience in financial management activities, including planning, budgeting and/or expenditure control.
- Knowledge of public sector accounting standards, including applying the CICA Handbook and internal control concepts.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience with, and proficiency using, Microsoft Office Software Word, Excel, and Outlook software as well as PeopleSoft (or an equivalent ERP system) general ledger module.
- Project management experience an asset.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills for forecasting, innovation and creative problem solving.
- Knowledge of, and previous experience applying, consolidation principles.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain Police Information Check information please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Professional accounting designation in good standing (CPA).
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented