Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $59,559–$78,127 a year
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 31104
Ministry: Treasury Board & Finance
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: August 16th 2022
Classification: Subsidiary 02B 3625 Program Services 2
Treasury Board and Finance, Edmonton – Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA)
TRA is responsible for the collection of revenue and the administration of Alberta’s tax, revenue and related benefit programs. The focus of our organization is to ensure a fair, efficient and effective provincial tax and revenue system.
The Crown Debt Collections (CDC) team in TRA, provides collection services to Alberta Government Ministries. Includes management of contracts with private collection agencies; agency compliance audits, CRA off-set, in-house collection services for highly sensitive portfolios and paralegal services involving legal and enforcement actions.
For further information about Treasury Board and Finance, see our website at
Are you a specialist in business initiatives? A professional with skills in data analytics? A problem solver? If you answer ‘yes’ to all the questions, Then this position maybe for you.
Reporting to the Team Lead, the Business Analyst analyzes complex business processes and develops/coordinates technical solutions with internal/external stakeholders.
We will offer you the opportunity to utilize and expand your skills. In this role,
the Business Analyst will:
- Participate in the prioritization of business initiatives that sets the framework for service excellence. Participate in the development of Crown Debt Collections (CDC) goals and priorities surrounding change initiatives.
- Provide business analysis expertise and support for projects and provide status updates and provide training to various audiences on system functionality.
- Update or develop technical procedures for applicable policy requirements.
- Review processes in consultation with internal/external parties and utilizes technology to streamline tasks, gain efficiencies and enhance internal controls.
- Investigate Ministry data and takes action to resolve inconsistencies. Review system access quarterly and work with team leads to ensure access is current.
- Act as single point of contact for Agency Collection Tracking and Reporting System (ACTRS) Help Desk. Receive calls from user community, investigate issues and provide/recommend direction. Provide status update on all aspects of system functionality.
- Monitor Agency system activity and resolves issues. Meet with collection agencies and participate in the discussion of system initiatives. Closely monitor incoming files from agencies and investigate technical discrepancies.
- Assist in the administration of the CRA – Federal Refund Set-Off (RSO) Program.
- Support CDC on technical issues and solutions through the Government of Alberta’s self-service IT support model.
The Business Analyst works with a diverse audience including Management, Team Leads, internal GoA IT teams, external service provider(s), and GoA Ministries in the analysis/mapping/user acceptance testing/training/documentation of business processes and recommends technical solutions that enhance internal controls as well as service excellence in Crown Debt Collections (CDC). Solutions enable CDC teams to have tight controls over financial transaction processing and also provide efficiencies for complex reporting.
Position requires the incumbent to have a solid understanding of database design, business processes, policy interpretation and the ability to put forth and/or participate in the development of strategies for change initiatives.
University graduation in a related field, supplemented by one year of related experience or equivalent as described below.
Equivalency: Directly related education or experience considered based on:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
- Certification as a Business Analyst
- Experience in project management, business process and business process re-engineering, as well as experience with complex business solutions is desirable.
- Experience with accounting principles
- Experience in working with a variety of different financial applications
- Experience in database reporting including creating SQL queries
- A summary that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience, and relevant examples of required competencies.
- A description of an initiative you had personally led or took part in that you feel is one of your greatest achievements. Provide an overview of what was involved, your role, and the outcome.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
The following competencies are essential for the position:
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING: Ability to assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
- AGILITY: Ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work in a changing environment.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Sets goals and prioritizes work to accomplish them. Follows through on duties and tasks and reports on progress.
- BUILDING COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENTS: Creating and supporting a work environment that allows people to work together well to reach goals.
$2,281.95 to $2,993.39 bi-weekly: $59,558.90 to $78,127.48 annually
This is a permanent, full-time position working 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
This position will be located at Sir Frederick W. Haultain Building, located at
9811-109 Street, Edmonton.
Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening.
What we offer:
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, please contact Michelle Elliott at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check