|Building Services Attendant|
Building Services Attendant
Company : City of Ottawa
Salary : $30.30 an hour
Location : Ontario
Requisition ID: 4408
Department: Transit Services Department
Service: Transit Bus Operations & Maintenance Service
Branch: Transit Facility Maintenance Branch
Employment Type: Up to 12 Full-time Permanent
Work Hours: 40.00 /hours per week
Affiliation: ATU 279
Salary Information: $30.296 per hour (2022 rates of pay)
Location: 1500 St.Laurent
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Category: Labourer Jobs,Maintenance and Trades,Transportation
Application Close: 15/08/2022
The Transit Facilities Maintenance Unit is responsible for the property management functions associated with the maintenance, operation and repair of all transit facilities.
You are primarily responsible for janitorial maintenance and snow removal tasks for all Transit Services and Fleet buildings, properties, and rights of way, and perform floor maintenance and landscaping tasks (both manually and with equipment/machinery). You work on/operate elevating working platform devices, operate vehicles, machinery and equipment, handle cleaning chemicals, execute minor shelter repairs, and perform other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of Grade 10 or equivalent
Minimum of 1 year of experience in the cleaning and maintenance of public facilities
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENCES
- Knowledge of and experience using cleaning tools, equipment, chemicals and materials
- Knowledge of and experience using tools and performing minor maintenance functions
- Knowledge of and experience using tools and operating standard machinery and equipment used in landscaping tasks and snow removal activities
- Knowledge of basic landscaping practices
- Knowledge and awareness of safety issues in the workplace, where there are always members of the public close by when work is being undertaken
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision, and collaboratively with peers and managers as part of a team
- Possess good organizational skills
- Able to follow all safety rules and regulations
- Possess sound interpersonal skills and ability to relate to the general public and coworkers
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Able to operate landscape/maintenance vehicles/equipment such as 5T dump truck with ploughs and attachments, 4x4 vehicles, light trucks, scissor lift, forklift, mobile personal lifting devices, farm tractor with blade, walk-behind snow blowers, grass mowers
- Able to use hand and power tools relating to cleaning, snow-clearing and landscaping tasks
- Must be able to organize, clean and maintain a safe work area within a public environment
- Must be capable of relating to transit customers while working in a public environment, and accepting that information requests, complaints or incidents of confrontational behaviour may occur
- Must be able to accept training/pass training on snow removal equipment
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- Able to relate to transit customers, co-workers and the general public, and to work in a non-confrontational manner
- Possess a work record of good attendance and work performance
- Able to follow all safety rules and regulations
- Able to work on elevating platform equipment and handle cleaning chemicals
- Able to work in environments that are physically challenging (e.g. continuous standing and walking, twisting, reaching, bending, climbing stairs and ladders etc.)
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the job set out in the Job Demands Analysis (e.g. stand / walk for long time periods, intermittent lifting to empty garbage cans up to 33 lbs, physically moving or maneuvering landscaping and maintenance equipment outdoors or in a bus garage environment)
- Able to work overtime, be available for scheduled overtime, work a variety of scheduled shifts including split shifts, weekends and evenings, as per the collective agreement and/or as required
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: English oral, reading, writing
- Police Record Check: The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.
- Driver’s License Requirement: A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.