|Accountant Corporate Services|
Accountant Corporate Services
Company : Town of Torbay
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
Accountant Corporate Services
The beautiful Town of Torbay is a vibrant community with over 7,899 residents on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland and Labrador. Torbay is home to over 150 businesses, three schools, and numerous community groups. Situated right on the Atlantic Ocean, Torbay offers breathtaking views in a scenic, rural setting. Conveniently bordering the capital City of St. John's, all urban amenities, including major retail centers and an international airport, are within a few minutes' drive.
The Town is currently searching for a motivated, energetic, and enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Professional Accountant. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Services, the Accountant will perform a variety of accounting and analytical activities in addition to providing ongoing financial support to the Corporate Services department and the Town's overall operations.
Major Duties Responsibilities
- Prepare internal financial statements, reconcile General Ledger Clearing accounts; clear cashed cheques; report stale dated cheques to the Director of Corporate Services; prepare and file HST rebate claims; prepare and remit fuel tax rebate application; monitor variances, reconcile property tax, accounts receivable, accounts payable and utility billing sub-ledgers.
- Coordinate Town reporting of expenditures for departmental project leaders and the Provincial Government; analyze and review the general ledger, financial information and project accounts to prepare status report updates, verify proper account numbers are used for costs charged to individual capital projects; reconcile project costs and source documentation and follow up on discrepancies; calculate the Province's portion of multi-year capital projects and record the related receivables; monitor capital reporting for compliance with the requirements of the Provincial Government.
- Monitor expenditures including comparisons to budgets, perform related reconciliations; identify cost savings or overruns, check for appropriate documentation and pricing; liaise with related consultants and contractors as required; calculate adjustments to contract holdbacks, prepare and record any required adjusting journal entries and report to supervisor areas of concern related to fiscal responsibility and cost consciousness.
- Update the capital asset management system ensuring that asset cost, useful life and estimated replacement timing and costing data is current and accurate; generate reports on expected asset replacement requirements including estimated future costs and timing and assist in the preparation of long-term budgets.
- Prepare bank reconciliations for all accounts (e.g. current account, project accounts and investment accounts).
- Assist with the preparation of the year-end asset, liability and capital files and related reports for inclusion in the audited financial statements and liaise with auditors during the year-end audit.
- Compute information, calculate, prepare, enter and record journal entries to the computerized accounting system.
- Monitor General Ledger accounts; set up new General Ledger accounts; prepare external invoices for third party charges.
- Calculate adjustments and monitor refundable residential and commercial security deposits, Assessment Appeal deposits, Local Improvement Assessment fees, and deferred program registration fees.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and key operating and capital budgets on an annual basis; and generate reports or information.
- Generate or create periodic miscellaneous reports from the General Ledger system for various users.
- Calculate and record the cost of individual assets acquired or contracted through capital projects and purchases; ensure capital purchases are appropriately documented and maintained.
- Prepare regular infrastructure monitoring reports for distribution to staff to be used in project status and budget monitoring processes.
- Provide information to staff regarding financial procedures and respond to inquiries from staff and government entities regarding policies, reporting, multi-year funding, contract payments and project status updates.
- Liaise with internal departments to ensure proper accountability, i.e. billings, receivables, and receipting through the use of the point of sale system.
- Read and retain all council minutes supporting projects and expenditures.
- Maintain and retrieve information in accordance with the requirements set forth by the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015, and Town information management policies and procedures.
Considerable experience in financial analysis and reporting, supplemented by a university degree in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting from a recognized post-secondary institution or sufficient qualifications as determined by assessment. Completion of the Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance (ACAF) or a willingness to obtain same is required. Knowledge of the capital asset accounting would be an asset.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures, financial analysis, reporting, related practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting and programs such as MS Office Suite, email, etc.
- Skill in accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze, organize and process information.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public in a responsible and professional manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Ability to contribute as a team player with personal commitment to the Town's mission, values and guiding principles and safety.
- Ability to be bonded and maintain bondability.
Applications complete with a cover letter and resume can be emailed, in confidence to Mark Whalen, Director of Human Resources at [email protected] no later than 4PM on Wednesday August 24th, 2022.
The Town of Torbay offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you are searching for a dynamic position and are looking to join a high-functioning team, we want to hear from you.
*** Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience ***
The Town of Torbay wishes to thank all interested applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.