|Technical Officer, Bioanalytical Micro-Nano Devices|
Technical Officer, Bioanalytical Micro-Nano Devices
Company : National Research Council Canada
Salary : $58,445–$80,040 a year
Location : Quebec
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Technical Officer, Bioanalytical Micro-Nano Devices to support our Medical Devices Research Centre. The Technical Officer would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The Technical Officer will support the medical device development program as part of the Precision Diagnostics team within the Bioanalytical Micro-Nano Devices Section. We are a group of physicists, Nano and microfabrication engineers, as well as chemists and biomedical researchers. Our section comprises five teams and 34 members in two locations in Boucherville and in Winnipeg.
You will be working as part of a multidisciplinary team recognized for its innovation in the field of nanomaterials and molecular-based micro-nanodevices fabrication. The impact of your contributions would be in progressing science & technology as well as practical applications in the field of life sciences research and clinical application. More specifically, key activity includes duties related to areas of research encompassing the use of lab-on chip systems for integration of molecular and cellular assays, artificial living systems, and portable molecular diagnostic devices for various applications such as environmental, food and water safety, clinical applications including in-vitro diagnostics for remote and space applications, as well as the emerging cell-based immunotherapy.
The Technical Officer – Biology will provide technical support to research work for developing and performing different techniques in biology, molecular biology and biochemistry with environmental, food or clinical samples. The individuals selected will also have to recognize and resolve problems associated with the experimental or analytical techniques and the approaches used. The candidate is expected to be able to work independently as well as part of the broader R&D team as well as function in an environment requiring a high-level of adaptability and multitasking.
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, the incumbent will be responsible for observing and recording preliminary results and will have to discuss progress in experiments and interpretation of results with the researchers and/or other technical officers and make recommendations for improvements as needed.
The work will be performed as part the NRC’s approved research programs in cooperation with industrial partners, universities or other government laboratories. The position includes maintaining laboratory equipment, space, logbooks and inventories, as well as responsibilities involving health and safety.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Cell and Molecular Biology, or other disciplines relevant to the position.
A College Diploma in Laboratory Technology with a combination of extensive experience could be considered.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Extensive recent experience in the cellular and molecular biology techniques are required:
- cell and tissue culture;
- blood cell handling and isolation;
- DNA and RNA extraction, DNA fragmentation, PCR, qPCR;
- protein immunoprecipitation, western blot, ELISA;
- DNA sub-cloning, generation of expression plasmids and cell transfection is a plus;
- Significant experience in experimental design, troubleshooting, statistical analysis, assay results interpretation;
- Basic experience in maintenance and management of laboratory records.
- Basic – up to 2 years
- Significant – 2 to 6 years
- Extensive – 7 years or more
- Direct experience in medical/clinical research setting.
Condition of Employment
English or French
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Solid knowledge of molecular biology techniques [DNA/RNA (isolation, fragmenting, PCR, qPCR), protein (immunoprecipitation, western blot, ELISA)];
- Solid knowledge of cell biology techniques (culture, separation, surface labelling) with blood cells, cell lines, primary cells.
- Working knowledge of tissue handling and culture, storage of samples in liquid nitrogen and freezers;
- Working knowledge of immunostaining techniques, basic confocal microscopy and epifluorescence microscopy, image capturing and image processing;
- Ability to perform experimental design, troubleshooting, data collection, analysis and interpretation;
- Ability to manage a Biosafety Level 2 research facility and to develop safety protocols
- Familiarity with microfluidics and lab-on-a-chip systems
- Working knowledge on digital or digital droplet PCR
- Research Technician/Technologist - Results orientation (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Teamwork (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Communication (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Creative thinking (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Client focus (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile: Research Technician/Technologist;
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
From $58,445 to $80,040 per annum.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (17550) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 22 August 2022 - 23:59 Eastern Time