|Mining Construction Superintendent (Structural)|
Mining Construction Superintendent (Structural)
Company : Bantrel Management Services Co. (BMSC)
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Saskatchewan
Bantrel is proud to be a leading provider of Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) services in Canada.
Since our inception in 1983, we have delivered end-to-end solutions for some of Canada’s most challenging and complex energy, mining and infrastructure projects, with an unrelenting focus on safety, while delivering to the highest degree of quality. Bantrel performs design and procurement services from our Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto offices and delivers construction management and self perform construction services at various Client sites across Canada.
Our global reach and local touch is demonstrated by our affiliation with our parent company, Bechtel Corporation, one of the largest EPC companies in the world, and with McCaig Investments, a Canadian owned private company with longstanding ties to the local business community.
Bantrel Co.: My Company | LinkedIn
BHP’s Jansen Potash Project located approximately 140 km east of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is BHP’s first and most advanced potash project. Jansen will add diversity and a Canadian presence to BHP’s global portfolio. Jansen’s large resource endowment provides the opportunity to develop it in stages, with anticipated initial capacity of 4.35 Mtpa. The BHP Board has recently sanctioned Jansen Project (Stage 1), with a US $5.7 billion investment. The project is now entering the construction phase, with the first potash expected in 2027.
The Jansen project has set up a dedicated team to execute the mining scope. As the mining scope is on the project critical path, this team supports the sequential nature of mining tasks while ensuring seamless interfaces with the rest of the Jansen project. This team will promote shared accountability between BHP and HBJV, trusting that the best person is selected for each role as they work towards safely delivering the mining scope on time, on budget, and with high quality. This team will strive for effective work planning, rapid and empowered decision-making, and continuous improvement through a joint construction and operational mindset. BHP and HBJV leadership hope to expose the team to new perspectives, ways of working, and long-term career progression opportunities.
Reporting to the Mining General Superintendent, the Mining Construction Superintendent will manage the 24-7 coordination of mining contractors for the field execution of the work within shafts and underground development. They will be responsible for ensuring the Contractors and their construction execution work is properly planned and ready in accordance with engineering drawings, and that the work complies with the site requirements, focusing priorities on safety, risk, and quality. They will drive field execution decisions with Contractors to optimize “best for project” schedule and construction delivery. They will foster a Team Jansen approach to construction execution and assist in solving work face problems with the Contractors.
- Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance. This is a site based role on a 14 and 7 rotation.
In this full time role, you will be a champion of diversity & inclusion.
- Stop construction and supporting activities in the event of a safety or quality concern, and resolve or escalate as appropriate
- Day-to-day decisions governing construction progress in respective assignment areas, i.e. resolving competing priorities for the shift and/or allocation of resources (equipment and material)
- Constructability input to future work plans and designs as requested by the General Construction Superintendent
- Solve issues as they arise alongside Field Engineers and HSE Advisors
- Provide coverage for the Mining General Superintendents, and their associated decisions
- Dayshift supervision and oversight from the Mining General Superintendent
- Potentially supervise a team of field Supervisors or other Integrated Project Team (IPT) Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in a 24-7 capacity
- Coordinate team members of other disciplines and functions working together on a task
- Ensures the effective implementation of Jansen Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) processes, plans, procedures and ensure alignment with the project goals
- Champions (and participates in) the field leadership program
- Supervises and coordinates construction operations
- Deals directly with contractors in the field
- Reviews Contractor 3 Week Look Ahead and 3 Day Plans for issues and opportunities
- Attends Construction Pre-start Alignment Meetings, Contractor Daily Production meetings, and Ready-To-Execute Work (RTEW) meetings for identification of planned activities and permitting requirements for upcoming shifts, taking actions identified and expediting closeout
- Reviews and approves contractor LEMS and daily permits
- Determines resourcing requirements, coordinates established area operational plans, schedules work to be performed and reviews work accomplished by each craft
- Monitors and ensures assigned construction contractor’s activities and performance follows specifications and is within schedule and budget
- Supports Field Engineering in the resolution of technical queries and Quality in the NCR process
- Identifies and manages field changes
- Coordinates the preparation of contract change orders, change notices, etc.
- Reports progress and challenges up to Mining General Superintendent
- Liaises with Field Engineering, Cost and Planning, Quality Control, HSE and others as required
- Prepares reports and forecasts, including summary of construction project, job and personnel capacity / effort forecasts and expenditures forecast
- Ensures they are adhering to and exhibiting Jansen core values
- Contributing to constructability reviews to ensure upcoming scopes are thoroughly planned and do not include fatal flaws
- Strong participation in the Jansen Risk Program as a Risk Owner or Control Owner
- Develops a culture of inclusion and diversity in the contractors
- Ensures accountable areas are in compliance with OH&S and Mines regulations
- Works closely with other Superintendents within the Mining IPT and will be required to backfill for them during shift and when on leave
- Operates day-to-day ensuring that activities are prioritized in line with broader objectives
- Ensures that they are managing their time effectively and adhering to deadlines
- Operations / Trade background or bachelor’s degree in Engineering with relevant levels of work experience in shaft or mining construction or operations
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience within shaft or mining construction. Experience in Potash is preferred.
- Ability to work flexibly within the Superintendent team; requires basic understanding of all disciplines (i.e., structural, mechanical, electrical and instrumentation) to be able to cover any portion of the construction
- A good understanding of Work Face Planning implementation and demonstrated ability to review detailed work plans for fatal flaws, poor optimization, and interface issues within and external to the plan
- Understanding of quality management systems and auditing processes related to major project delivery or program management
- Working knowledge of single or multi-discipline construction operations relating to field activities, occupational Health and Safety regulations, WCB provisions and Labour Relations Code
- A demonstrated ability to work with (and lead) people and build working relationships that lead to high performance outcomes
- Ability to foster an inclusive environment for their team while grounding to the Jansen core values
- Motivate themselves and peers to promote and engage in team building and relationship building activities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders including functional managers and discipline leads on the project, vendors and contractors. Good knowledge of MS Office is required.
- High attention to detail, motivation, and commitment to quality outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and quickly comprehend new concepts and technologies
- Demonstrated strong troubleshooting, analytical and problem-solving skills including root cause analysis training
- Flexibility of roster rotation at times to accommodate early planning in the office, dayshift and nightshift for a 24-7 construction execution schedule
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.