|Information Systems Specialist|
Information Systems Specialist
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the direction of the Information Systems Projects Leader, the Information Systems Specialist is responsible for independently undertaking projects and participating with other Information Systems personnel in designing, developing, and implementing departmental information systems and technology. The incumbent will also be accountable for the maintenance, support, and operation of information systems and technologies critical to the operation of the Public Works Department.
As the Information Systems Specialist you will:
- Plan, design, develop, and implement information systems (both new and enhancements to existing systems).
- Provides ongoing information system maintenance and support services of existing production information systems.
- Perform system and business analysis in order to determine the requirements, specifications and feasibility of new information systems, independently or with other IT personnel.
- Participate in complex large-scale new information systems development.
- Be responsible for the maintenance, support, and operation of information systems and technologies for the Public Works Department.
- Provide technical and operational support to the department information systems including PCs, mobile, and network infrastructure in dispersed locations.
- Document and communicate technical information for both technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Participate in the research and development activities of the Information Systems and Technology Division.
- Provide project planning, administration, and coordination for departmental information systems projects.
- Manage the production implementation of information systems projects.
- Work as part of project teams.
- Collaborate with representatives from other IT divisions through a variety of corporate committees and subcommittees.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification as required.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Information Technology related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive recent progressive experience designing, developing, and implementing new and pre-existing software applications for a variety of platforms such as desktop and web-based.
- Experience performing requirements gathering, system analysis, system design, and creating the associated documentation.
- Experience developing applications and database schemas using enterprise level databases such as Oracle and MS SQL.
- Recent solid experience with at least one of the following groups of technologies:
- C# / .Net / ASP.Net
- Java / JSP
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with co-workers, and all internal and external contacts.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage heavy workload and changing priorities.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing technological environments.
- Ability to apply sound judgement while working under pressure and stressful conditions.
- Knowledge of modern programming languages, architecture, trends and development tools.
- Experience troubleshooting multi-tier systems and resolving a variety of issues would be an asset.
- Experience designing, developing, and implementing software applications for mobile environments (including iOS and Android) is an asset.
- Strong business analysis experience is an asset.
- Project Management experience with an understanding of the Project Management Body of Knowledge guidelines is an asset.
- Experience with any or all of the following technology would be an asset:
- GIS functionality and concepts
- Version Control Systems (SVN, GIT, etc.)
- MS Active Directory
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License.
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s) at their own expense.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the job which may include but are not limited to: lifting up to 20 lbs., and crouching, bending, kneeling.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented