|Health & Safety Coordinator|
Health & Safety Coordinator
Company : Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Salary : $52,936–$74,048 a year
Location : New Brunswick
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
1- year contract with the possibility of extension
Anglophone North School District
Miramichi or Bathurst
Who we are:
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD) is seeking an individual to join the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Team as a Health and Safety Coordinator in the Anglophone North School District.
This is an exciting opportunity in a challenging and rewarding field to work with a team of professionals dedicated to improving the culture of health and safety at EECD and in the School Districts.
What you will do:
Reporting to the Security & Safety Advisor at EECD, the Health and Safety Coordinator's role will focus on the successful implementation and maintenance of a compliant and sustainable district Health and Safety Program.
The Health and Safety Coordinator will provide the Anglophone North School District with expert advice, OHS training, OHS quality control and quality assurance. They will implement best practices utilizing current research and tools meeting legislative requirements.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the district and providing guidance as a subject matter expert on occupational health and safety standards, risk assessment methodologies, and safety management systems
- Assisting clients with the design and implementation of a safety and health management system
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining a fundamental health and safety program and initiatives on behalf of the client organization with an emphasis on compliance, critical hazard identification and risk reduction designed to promote a culture of a skilled and safe workplace
- Evaluating current processes and practices across the district to ensure standardization
- Developing, coordinating, and delivering required regulatory health and safety educational sessions
- Being a liaison between WorkSafeNB and the client, assisting and advising the client as it relates to any form of regulatory requirement or order
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining health and safety program tools to assist the client in ensuring they meet their regulatory compliance requirements and ensuring tools are kept up to date, easily available and clearly communicated
- Providing the client organization advice, tools and technical support related to conducting investigations related to accidents, incidents, hazardous materials, near misses, issues, and complaints
- Partnering with and coaching supervisors and managers on their duties as it relates to health and safety
- Providing direction to school personnel regarding client specific information, departmental process, policies, standards etc. and other general items
- Coordinating Health and Safety issue escalation process as required to support day to day and project centric activities
- Reviewing and validating internal health and safety policies and protocol; and work with stakeholders (external and/or internal department) to resolve issues when required
- Providing advice on security issues to employee and management team, contractors, and organizers of special events and conferences
- Maintains and updates security and acts as the subject matter expert on various types of security incidents and their associated responsive procedures
- Coordinates security communication with local partners if need
- Office location: Miramichi Education Center office or the Bathurst Education Center Office
- Standard hours of work: Monday - Friday, 8:15am-4:30pm
- We promote a scent-reduced environment
Who you are:
You thrive in a fast paced and constantly changing environment. You are passionate about providing good client service and are results oriented. You are dependable, organized and a good communicator. You are a relationship and network builder.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Need to have:
- University degree in a related field and four (4) years of experience in Occupational Health and Safety
- Proficient in Microsoft software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Candidates may be required to undergo Criminal History Clearance prior to appointment
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
This position requires frequent travel to school sites in the assigned territory to support management and safety initiatives; for this, candidates must possess a valid driver's license.
Nice to have:
- Written and spoken competency in French would be considered an asset
- Possess or be eligible to obtain the Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) OR Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST) OR National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) designation is an asset
- Experience with a job hazard analysis, analysis of workplace accidents or Joint Health Safety Committee
- Experience in overseeing and delivering the health and safety program, standard operating procedures, work safe practice or best practice
- Experience with injury claim management or duty to accommodate would be an asset
- Training in WHMIS, fall protection, confined space, lock out and accident investigation would be an asset
- Proven ability to work mainly independently and to follow established procedures and processes
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Experience with threat assessment, emergency procedure, conducting security inspection, implement security protocol or procedure, awareness program
- Training in law enforcement, intelligence, or military training in a field of security (physical or personnel)
- Possess or be eligible to obtain the Incident Command System 100 or 200, Violence Threat Risk Assessment
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
- Analytical Thinking / Judgement
- Effective Interactive Communications
- Relationship / Network Building
- Client Service Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Planning and organizational skills
- Written communication
- Working knowledge of the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Presentation skills
- Knowledge of Health and Safety procedures
Pay Band 4: $52, 936 - $74, 048 annually.
What can GNB offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community
- 1.25 days/month of paid vacation
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & Safety.
How to apply:
We encourage applicants to apply online at www.ere.gnb.ca, by mail at the following address, or by email at [email protected] by August 8, 2022, indicating competition number 22-2000-C41. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Human Resource Services
Place 2000, 250 King Street
Fredericton, N.B. E3B 5H1
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Check out what it is like to work at the Government of New Brunswick, where we are working together as One Team One GNB to improve the lives of New Brunswickers every day!
Let's connect. You belong here.