|Financial Reporting Advisor II|
Financial Reporting Advisor II
Company : City of Regina
Salary : $40.25–$50.25 an hour
Location : Saskatchewan
This position is responsible for key aspects of the management of financial reports, ensuring that they comply with the Public-Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) guidelines and other applicable sources of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for the public sector.
This position is responsible for research and response on complex Goods and Service Tax and Provincial Sales Tax questions, Tangible Capital Assets (TCA) and other relevant sections of the PSAB standards and emerging issues. This position supports the corporation with regard to third party revenue agreements, external legislated reporting requirements and provides overall accounting support. This position reports to the Manager of Corporate Accounting.
Typical duties include:
- Ensure existing PSAB guidelines and standards are applied to the systems and accounting procedures of the City of Regina and other related entities to ensure transactions are recorded and reported correctly.
- Research and maintain integral involvement in emerging issues for Public Sector Accounting Standards in order to prepare recommendations and position papers to support ongoing compliance.
- Apply Chartered Professional Accountants’ (CPA) guidelines to the City of Regina and related entity financial statements and other external reporting.
- Manage the compilation and preparation of key sections of the City of Regina Annual Consolidated Financial Report and acceptable documentation for the External Auditors.
- Preparation of Financial Statement Discussion & Analysis (FSD&A) report to explain and highlight information underlying the statement of financial position and changes in financial position as presented. Preparation of the Public Accounts document, Statistics Canada reporting, third party revenue/contract reporting, and benchmarking.
- Research and respond to complex tax-related questions, both Goods and Services tax (GST) and Provincial Sales Tax (PST) including correspondence with Canada Revenue Agency and/or Saskatchewan Finance. Review third party agreements to ensure compliance with Commodity tax issues. Research and respond to questions, and provide information related to, TCA, asset register, third party agreements and other accounting inquiries.
- Provides guidance to the operating areas of the corporation related to the financial aspects of third party revenue claims, provides objective internal reviews of financial information to support external audits/reviews and reports.
- Integral involvement with the planning and execution of the City of Regina external audit as well as audits related to third party revenues and others as assigned.
- Assist other divisions of the Finance department as well as the other operating departments and external entities with compliance to accounting guidelines.
- Develops and maintains relationships across the organization and becomes familiar with their operations in order to provide expertise, advice and assist in designing appropriate processes, procedures and templates related to a diverse range of reporting requirements such as TCA, revenue recognition, Tax issues and others.
- Must use tact, persuasion and diplomacy to gain compliance from business areas to meet legislated requirements within tight deadlines and an ever-changing compliance environment.
- Ad-hoc reporting on a corporate and departmental basis.
- Participates in the development and documentation of corporate accounting policies and procedures to improve control and efficiency within the corporation.
- Participates in the development and documentation of internal control systems that assist in safeguarding the financial assets of the organization.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
Typically, the knowledge, skill and abilities required are obtained through a University degree in Commerce or Business Administration and the CPA designation. Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development, particularly related to the assigned areas of responsibility. Education, training and experience in financial systems is a strong asset. 3 -5 years progressively responsible experience in a computerized accounting environment. 1-3 years experience in audit, internal audit/reviews and/or compliance reporting. In addition, three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the preparation of financial statements, preferably in a public-sector environment. Knowledge of GST and PST preferably as it relates to a public-sector environment.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, practices and consolidation, particularly as they relate to Public Sector Accounting Board guidelines and municipal accounting.
- Ability to prepare complex municipal financial statements and reports.
- Ability to interpret CPA and PSAB Handbooks and implement the guidelines as required for the City of Regina and its related entities
- Thorough knowledge of computerized financial and operating systems.
- Knowledge of the corporation’s financial business processes, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to document and analyze internal control systems; ability to gain knowledge of the financial systems of the business areas in order to ensure data integration, consistency and adherence to corporate policies.
- Knowledge of accounts payable, general ledger, the chart of accounts and assets systems is required, knowledge of other systems such as inventory systems, and systems of the City of Regina.
- Knowledge of Caseware and Caseview software.
- Problem solving skills and ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, analyze, evaluate and interpret data and information, document findings and make effective recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing demonstrating tact and diplomacy in order to establish effective working relationships with external and internal stakeholders as necessitated by work assignments. Ability to influence, persuade or convince others to adhere to rules/regulations or come up with an acceptable solution, while staying within policies and legislated requirements.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a team environment, demonstrating sound judgement and initiative to establish priorities, meet users’ expectations and meet deadlines.
✓ Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
✓ Note: As per the City of Regina's Criminal Record Check Policy, the successful candidate is required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check.
✓ Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $40.25-$50.25 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible language requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift