|Engineering Assistant III - Street Activities|
Engineering Assistant III - Street Activities
Company : The City of Vancouver
Salary : $34.23–$40.29 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 36524
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Street Activities Branch plays a leading role in implementing public space improvements throughout the City and we’re seeking an Engineering Assistant III to join our Public Space Design team. The successful applicant will perform a variety of technical duties to support public space projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
As part of the Public Space Design team, the Engineering Assistant III is responsible for:
- Keeping accurate records of program participants and public space installations
- Coordinating traffic plans, relevant approvals, delivery of public space projects in liaison with City crews and contractors
- Performing field work for before, after, and during construction, as well as site visits involving conditions assessment and maintenance prioritization of existing parklets
- Communication with the public, community groups, stakeholders and internal departments, and other public-facing communication materials
Other responsibilities include:
- Preparing presentations, plans and graphic materials
- Performing routine clerical duties, filing and maintenance of data files and assisting the Street Activities team asrequired
- Participating in evening meetings, public engagement events, and responding to enquiries
- Preparing and analyzing public surveys; conducting research
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with a diploma in Civil Engineering or other equivalent area of study related to the work, such as, Environmental Design and Transportation plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of MS Office software, AutoCAD, the Adobe Creative Cloud, and SketchUp
- Working knowledge of the City's public space and transportation policies and regulations
- Ability to work well in a team environment with little or no supervision, and meet tight time lines in a multi task environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and the ability to provide accurate and thorough information to the public
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and the public
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2022
Position End Date: June, 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $34.23 to $40.29 per hour
Application Close: August 7, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.