Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $4,295–$4,490 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Office of the Auditor General
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 8/12/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Office of the Auditor General serves the Nova Scotia House of Assembly and the people of Nova Scotia. Our vision is to be a relevant, valued and independent audit office serving the public interest as the House of Assembly’s primary source of assurance on government performance. The Office accomplishes this through the conduct of financial and performance audits of government departments and agencies, as well as entities which receive funding from the government. The promotion of excellence and a professional and supportive workplace are an Office priority and key to our success. For more information on the Office, please visit www.oag-ns.ca.
About Our Opportunity
The Office is looking to fill two Audit Officer positions. The Audit Officer position reports to an Audit Principal for overall performance.
As an Audit Officer, you are studying to gain your Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation and participate in performance and financial statement audits. You will help plan and conduct performance audits, identify findings, make value-added recommendations, and contribute to chapters in the Auditor Generals’ Report to the House of Assembly by drafting reports sections. You may also assist project leaders with the planning, conduct, and reporting of financial statement audits through the completion of audit procedures that meet Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and assess financial reporting against Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS). This may include documenting and evaluating control systems, testing transactions and identifying audit findings. Limited travel within Nova Scotia will be required.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree and eligibility to enroll or currently enrolled in the CPA Professional Education Program (students must take the assurance elective). The candidate’s status in the program would make them eligible to write the CPA Common Final Exam no later than September 2025.
- General work experience with a preference given to experience in project work with small teams, demonstrating skills involved to research and analyse data and information, analyse trends and results, and evaluate outputs and outcomes.
- General knowledge of Canadian PSAS and assurance standards.
- Superior analytical, communication and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
We offer a healthy work-life balance (i.e. earned days off program, work-from-home policy, flexible working hours), a comprehensive benefits package, the opportunity to work on a wide variety of impactful and unique projects, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
- In your cover letter clearly demonstrate how you meet the qualifications.
- Please ensure that your cover letter and resume are combined into one document.
- Applicants must submit an unofficial copy of their university transcript. Applications received without this information will not be considered.
- To apply for this position, please email your application to [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer.
Pay Grade: EC 07
Salary Range: $2,147.26 - $2,244.88 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]