New Job Utility Operator 2 In Nova Scotia
|Utility Operator 2|
Utility Operator 2
Company : Halifax Regional Municipality
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for one (1) permanent, full-time position of Utility Operator 2 in the Parks division of Parks & Recreation. Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is committed to reflecting the community it serves and recognizing Diversity and Inclusion as one of the Municipality’s core values. We have an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Women in occupations or positions where they are underrepresented in the workforce, Indigenous/Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and 2SLGBTQ+ Persons. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify on their electronic application.
This position encompasses a wide variety of skilled labour duties in numerous locations indoors and outdoors in various working conditions throughout the municipality. This position requires teamwork, flexibility, organizational skills, safety awareness and pride in delivering high-quality public service to benefit our citizens. As a result you will use specialized tools and equipment and/or assist skilled trades people in the performance of their duties to contribute to meeting the operational objectives of the Business unit and HRM. The Utility Operator 2 will be involved in activities that involve noise, vibrations, dust and fumes. You will assist in duties as a member of the work crew in the regular work program operating equipment, labour functions and other related duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates light vehicles and equipment or a combination of (such as but not limited to the following; ½ ton, 1-ton dump body, Utility Vehicle, Articulated loader, motorized hand tampers, whips, various power and manual hand tools);
- Load and unload equipment and materials;
- Maintain and safely operate assigned tools/equipment;
- Work safely and cooperatively assisting other classifications;
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with members of the public, teammates, and management;
- Completion of daily work-related written reports, such as but not limited to: pre & post trip vehicle inspections, commercial vehicle drivers’ hours of service logs, job site hazard assessments etc.;
- Other duties as assigned within Parks;
- This position is exempted from the Schedule C Winter Works Program but is required to perform winter snow removal in Parks and the ability to work overtime as required.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Three (3) years of related work experience;
- Must be willing to obtain utility tractor qualification (such as Tool cat/ Skid Steer);
- Must have a valid Nova Scotia Driver's License Class 5 with a requirement to obtain a condition 15 endorsement at next available opportunity.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have a good attendance and work record;
- Working knowledge of methods, material and equipment usage involved in Municipal Operations;
- Capable and willing to work inside and outside in varying weather conditions;
- Ability to work independently, and as a team player;
- Ability to follow instructions, and communicate effectively including oral and written communication;
- WHMIS, CPR/First Aid certification.
- Operation of equipment and tools in difficult conditions;
- Work environment may include industry acceptable levels of dust, fumes, noise, etc.
Candidates must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and have valid licensing, as required.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants may be required to complete an employment security screening check.
Please note – Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates, who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at the employer’s discretion.
Please note – Applicants are responsible to include all information that they wish to have taken into consideration in the review of their application, and applicants are required to provide full details of experience or training referenced in the posting. Applicants may be screened out of this competition at preliminary stages of review based on the insufficiency of the information provided, and the award of this position may be made solely on the basis of the information provided in the electronic submission without any requirement that the Employer contact the candidate for further elaboration on information referenced in the application.
Competencies: Communication, Teamwork & Cooperation, Customer Service, Values and Ethics, Organizational Awareness, Valuing Diversity.
WORK STATUS: One (1) permanent, full time position
HOURS OF WORK: Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. Or other shifts as per Schedule B of the CUPE 108 Collective Agreement November 1, 2017 - October 31, 2022.
SALARY: $25.37 per hour as per CUPE 108 Collective Agreement November 1, 2017 - October 31, 2022.
WORK LOCATION: 5718 Point Pleasant Park, Halifax (Supervisor: Ian Kennedy)
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, July 12, 2022.
This is a bargaining unit position. External applicants will only be considered if there are no qualified bargaining unit candidates.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for interview/testing will be contacted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
(Position # 78639382)