|Permit Technician (Temporary)|
Permit Technician (Temporary)
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
As the Permit Technician, you will receive customers and perform office and technical procedures related to initiating, processing, and coordinating permit applications, issuing specific types of permits and providing general zoning and building code information. This position will carry out some technical procedures including the interpretation of selected components of the City of Winnipeg Zoning and Building By-laws, Agreements, and other relevant legislation and regulations pertaining to specific types of projects.
As the Permit Technician you will:
- Initiate and coordinate permit applications including:
- Greeting the customer(s) in a courteous and timely manner and initiate the processing of applications in a timely manner;
- Gather and enter general information into the Department’s automated system;
- Advise customer(s) of additional documentation and approval processes that may be required;
- Determine the process through which the application will flow, ie: fast track, one stop shop, drop off.
- Determine if professional seals are required and if seals provided are acceptable.
- Track permit applications, and enter approvals granted into the Department’s automated system.
- Apply knowledge of regulations and procedures to determine adequacy of information and compliance.
- Analyse and interpret pertinent documents related to an application.
- Determine preliminary building height, building area and building use.
- Perform appropriate mathematical calculations as required.
- Determine compliance or non-compliance of letters of certification, zoning memos and shop drawings.
- Process some types of permit applications through to issuance and answer related questions. Tasks include examine drawings/plans submitted by applicant and apply zoning and building regulations to determine compliance or non-compliance and verify value of construction, apply appropriate fees, collect fees and issue permits.
- Provide general permit, zoning and building information to internal and external customers.
- Process temporary permits.
- Prepare accurate written material in response to customer requests for zoning and building information by utilizing appropriate word processing and graphic interface of information with the Department’s automated system and a Windows environment.
- Perform related duties compatible with the classification as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Two (2) years’ prior related work experience which can include drafting, construction related work, blueprint reading or administration of permits.
- Successful completion of a course in Drafting 1 or Blueprint reading or equivalent training.
- Knowledge of basic elements of a set of construction plans with plan reading abilities.
- Knowledge of common construction and land use terminology.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and the safety precautions and regulations that are applicable to the area of work.
- Ability to deal with customers in a courteous and tactful manner, often in highly stressful and/or difficult situations in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Ability to use a computer with general knowledge in a Windows environment and experience using Word.
- Ability to interpret specific sections of the Building By-law and Manitoba Building Code, and Zoning By-laws as they relate to simple development projects.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand shop drawings and ability to read legal descriptions and identify property on zoning map or GIS environment.
- Ability to function effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Prior to commencement of employment, the successful applicant will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by providing a Government of Manitoba issued QR code and photo identification.
- Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check, please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented