|Operating Shift Engineer|
Operating Shift Engineer
Company : Manitoba Government
Salary : $54,136–$60,104 a year
Location : Manitoba
Operating Shift Engineer
O3E Operating Shift Engineer 3
Department of Labour, Consumer Protection and Government Services
Operations, District 3, Asset Management Division
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 39109
Salary(s): O3E $54,136.00 - $60,104.00 per year
Closing Date: June 30, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
This position will remain open until filled.
The Manitoba government is seeking a skilled licenced Power Engineer for operations in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. The incumbent will operate and maintain a 3rd Class Low Pressure Steam Plant at Portage Correction Centre and a 5th Class Low Pressure Steam Plant at Agassiz Youth Centre in Portage la Prairie, MB, in compliance with the Power Engineer Act, Provincial Codes and acceptable best trade practices.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid 4th Class Power Engineering Certification recognized the Office of the Fire Commissioner.
- Must have a valid 5th Class driver's license and some travel may be required.
- Must be able to produce and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Security Check.
- Must be able to be on call, work alone, work outdoors and work with exposure to steam, chemicals, noise and dust.
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position including working at heights, in confined spaces, crouching, sitting, medium lifting, climbing, and wearing personal protective equipment.
- Experience in operating, maintenance and repair of a Low or High Pressure Heating plant and its auxiliaries.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, procedures and relevant safety policies and legislation.
- Experience with HVAC operations, life safety systems and DDC operations.
- Experience with computers and computerized facility maintenance management systems.
- Decision making skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and follow up.
- Interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
The Operating Shift Engineer is in charge of operating, safe care and control of a Low Pressure Steam Plant in accordance with the Power Engineers Act; performing the daily Guarded Status checks, annual inspections for the boilers, HVAC and auxiliary equipment in order to ensure they operate safely and efficiently. They ensure preventative maintenance and building repair tasks are taken care of as set out by the Chief Engineer, Facility Manager or designates. Supervises and provides guidance to Maintenance Assistants, Trades Pool, contractors and any other people that enter the facilities to provide a service. In the absence of the Facility Manager and/or Chief Engineer, the incumbent may be responsible for the entire physical plant operation. The Operating Shift Engineer is the initial contact in most requests.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.