New Job Librarian Ii In Ontario
Company : City of Richmond Hill
Salary : $37.74–$44.95 an hour
Location : Ontario
Richmond Hill Public Library is committed to enriching your connections, choices and community. It has four branches, with 72,700 registered members and over three million online and in-person uses. Members use 2.1M collection items annually, and 66,700 people attend its programs. As a 21st century Library we continue to adapt to change in various ways which includes empowering staff through teamwork, development and a celebration of curiosity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Engages the public with in-depth and information service, contextually, virtually and technologically, through the use of library sources and expertise.
- Collaborates with partners and community organizations and agencies to fill service and program gaps, stimulating the use of library resources.
- Plans, executes and evaluates community-centric programs within a team environment, with a focus on programs for children and youth
- Applies knowledge of technology, including social media, in creation of presentations, development of website content and the delivery of programs, services and displays.
- Curates medleys of content and information resources in ways that highlight and reinforce services and programs.
- Recommends library materials in all formats for selection and de-selection.
- Supports effective communications in the branch.
- Evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of the Branch operation and makes recommendations for change or improvement.
- Responsible for the Branch operation in the absence of the Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities Cont'd (if applicable)
Education and Experience
- Master of Library/Information Science Degree from an ALA accredited program
- Minimum of three years relevant experience, applicable to the public library environment
- Experience in a unionized and diverse environment an asset.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Commitment to superior customer service.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of the elements that make up superior public library programs
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior information service to a wide range of library users
- Ability to work effectively with customers of all ages and backgrounds particularly children and youth; experience working with users from a wide variety of cultural, economic, social and educational backgrounds.
- Demonstrated understanding of public libraries and awareness of contemporary services.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement and evaluate community-centric conversations and programs.
- Ability to work effectively outside of traditional library activities and settings.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience in use of library information systems.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, creation of spreadsheets, use of electronic databases and presentation software.
Richmond Hill Public Library Values
- Intellectual Freedom
- Literacy and Lifelong Learning
About Richmond Hill Public Library
Richmond Hill Public Library is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
This position may be relocated to another location in the future to meet service needs for the community. All applicants should understand that the ability to work at any library location is a requirement of this position.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the City of Richmond Hill you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The City of Richmond Hill will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Library will require a current Vulnerable Sector Screening from the successful applicant as a condition of employment.
Attention Internal Candidates: All current City of Richmond Hill employees are required to apply via the ‘View Jobs for Current Employees’ link on the City’s Careers Page.