New Job Intake Legal Assistant In British Columbia
|Intake Legal Assistant|
Intake Legal Assistant
Company : Legal Aid BC
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Who We Are
Legal Aid BC (LABC) is a non-profit organization, created by the Legal Services Society Act in 1979, to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens; those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk. Our vision is client-focused legal aid that ensures access to justice for all, with a mission to provide legal aid services that people need, and to promote better access to justice.
At LABC, we know that our continued ability to help the people who need us is due to the hardworking individuals who make up our team, dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people in need. We foster a positive culture of open communication for our team to thrive within, underpinned by our values of service, diversity, integrity, accountability, and leadership.
Located at LABC’s Vancouver Regional Centre, this positionprovides front-line contact and intake services to the public, provide legal information, verified legal advice, assess eligibility for legal aid and may provide legal secretarial and administrative support to staff lawyer(s) and paralegal(s). This will include performing intake services through the Call Centre, at Main Street Court house and lock-up, Robson Square Provincial Court, Youth Court lock-up, Downtown Community Centre, and other offsite locations.
Key accountabilities include, but aren't limited to:
- Provide reception and intake services
- Issue legal aid contracts to private bar lawyers and staff
- Perform duties relating to client case files
- Perform office administrative duties: Order pamphlets/office supplies; ensure office equipment is operational; orient casual and new staff; and ensure office is secured daily
More About You
You have post-secondary education in Law, Criminology, Sociology or related discipline supplemented by a minimum of two (2) years’ relevant experience. You have a strong desire to assist disadvantaged clients, including those experiencing family violence or addiction issues, those with low income, those with mental disabilities, or those whose first language is not English. You strive to exceed expectations and are a team player.
A competitive annual salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you are with LABC
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LABC
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An Employee and Family Assistance program
- The opportunity to participate in various Employee programs (Employee Wellness, etc.)
- A healthy work/life balance
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
We would like to thank all external applicants for their interest but regret that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Legal Aid BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society. Members of equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program