|Heavy Equipment Mechanic|
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Company : Yukon Government
Salary : $42.66 an hour
Location : Yukon
This competition will be used to fill one permanent position and may be used to fill similar term positions, AOC positions and/or casual positions.
Highways and Public Works – who we are
Employees at Highways and Public Works are responsible for ensuring safe and efficient public highways, airstrips, buildings, and information systems. Our collective vision is to make a difference in the lives of Yukoners. At all levels of our organization, we value leadership, innovation, teamwork, and keeping our people safe. Our priorities are to be client focused, to support our people, to build sustainably, and to advance reconciliation throughout Yukon.
In the Mechanical Operations unit, we are committed to providing a cost effective service for our fleet of highway maintenance equipment. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual that has the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Reporting to the Heavy Equipment Mechanical Foreperson, the ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of preventative maintenance, have skills in repairing, maintaining and overhauling a large variety of heavy equipment and experience diagnosing and troubleshooting electrically controlled diesel engines.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please review this information: Apply on a job | Government of Yukon
Essential Qualifications (what we’re looking for in your resume):
- Red Seal Journeyman Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Red Seal Journeyman Truck and Coach Mechanic
- Experience diagnosing, servicing, troubleshooting and repairing mobile and stationary equipment
- Experience performing preventative maintenance inspections and repairs
- Recent experience diagnosing and troubleshooting electrically controlled diesel engines, transmissions and other such components (i.e. Cummins, CAT and Volvo)
- Class 3 driver’s licence would be an asset
If your resume shows education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above, your application may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability (what candidates will be assessed on):
- Safety and service orientation
- Strong knowledge of preventative maintenance
- Knowledge of regeneration systems
- Knowledge of electronic controls for hydraulic systems
- Adaptable to changing priorities
- Promotes respect, dependability and reliability
- Willing to work in a team environment
Conditions of Employment
- Possess and maintain a Valid Class 5 Yukon Driver's Licence
- Completion of Transportation Dangerous Goods Certificate (must be obtained within 6 months of hire) Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) certification (must be obtained within 6 months of hire) WHMIS (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
Lift heavy objects, work in adverse weather conditions, work at heights of 6-10 feet, to guide and work with apprentice mechanics, work outside of headquarters area for extended periods of time and accept standby shift responsibilities.
- Find out what we offer our employees
- See why Yukon government has been identified as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014
If you have questions about this position, please contact Kelly Dewdney, Manager Mechanical Operations at [email protected]
If you have questions about applying on a job with Yukon government or if you need an accommodation for this staffing process, please contact Amy Johnson, HR Consultant at [email protected]