|Correspondence Clerk (Clerk 2)|
Correspondence Clerk (Clerk 2)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $2,815–$3,064 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Labour, Skills and Immigration
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 6/23/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Immigration and Population Growth Branch (IPG) of Labour Skills and Immigration (LSI) has a large mandate. We are responsible for attracting, integrating, and retaining newcomers to our province. The impact of our work is felt both on a macro level as we are helping businesses succeed and our population grow, as well as a micro level as we make decisions every day that change the lives of people choosing to make Nova Scotia home. A small but passionate team, we are continually evolving to ensure we are meeting the needs of the province.
LSI works to provide fairness, safety, and prosperity for all Nova Scotians by helping them live, learn and work to their highest potential. We have a staff of more than 500 employees working from offices throughout Nova Scotia. Together we are responsible for safety, labour standards, apprenticeship, immigration and population growth, and many other facets of everyday life.
About Our Opportunity
As the Clerk you work under general supervision, performs assignments of intermediate complexity as it relates to depth of analysis, use of independent judgement. As the Clerk you will have sound knowledge of procedures, rules, acts, and regulations that pertain to the department. The Clerk performs various administrative and clerical task associated within the day to day functions of the office.
This position reports to the Director of Strategic Policy.
- Coordinates all incoming and outgoing correspondence daily and reviews data for completeness and accuracy. Receives, classifies, reconciles, consolidates, and/or summarizes documents and information.
- Maintains record of documents processed and controls to assure completion. Maintains filing system in accordance with government records management policy.
- Compiles regular and special reports, following established formats and procedures. Prepares ad hoc reports from computer systems (e.g. SAP or manually). Collates and/or extracts data and produces routine reports, schedules, summaries and letters to clients/customers/members of the work group.
- Deals with clients/suppliers on the telephone to exchange information and/or clarify facts. Receives and processes payments while maintaining and ensuring the accuracy of departmental inventory.
- Performs data entry.
- Provides clerical and/or reception support as needed.
- May provide technical guidance and/or assist in the initial training of junior clerks
Qualifications and Experience
As the ideal candidate, you possess at least grade 11 plus 3 years of related experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be acceptable. You are a self-motivated individual who works well independently and participants fully in a team environment, you value the concepts of equity, diversity, and inclusion to all areas of work. This allows you to build productive relationships with non-governmental and governmental members (both internally and externally) in an affective an professional manner.
You are proficient using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-Point), have strong interpersonal, and communication skills (written and verbal). You also have excellent keyboarding skills with a high degree of accuracy.
The following are considered assets:
- Completion of a business or commercial course
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
Please note, this is expected to be a temporary status position with an end date of January 12, 2023; however the position status (“term”, “temporary” or “casual”) is dependent on the start date of the successful candidate.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths.
- Department specific flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: CL 13
Salary Range: $1,407.60 - $1,532.16 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]