Company : City of Vernon
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Administrative Assistant- Economic Development and Tourism Services
Competition #: 98-COV-22
Closing Date: July 14, 2022
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year-round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you. The City of Vernon offers a competitive compensation package, including enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Reporting to the Manager, Economic Development and Tourism Services, this position acts as confidential assistant.
- Maintains highly confidential files.
- Acts as a receptionist, answering telephone and counter inquiries and providing information of a routine nature or redirects inquiries, as appropriate.
- Organizes events and schedules appointments and meetings.
- Drafts original correspondence; data research; and transmits reports and other communications to staff, external agencies, and stakeholders.
- Answers inquiries and receives visitors on behalf of the manager.
- Schedules appointments and meetings, drafts agendas and itineraries, and takes minutes, as required.
- Acknowledges receipt of, researches, drafts responses and responds to inquiries, complaints, and tracks correspondence.
- Liaises with senior levels of government and senior executives in the private sector.
- Monitors monthly expenditures for the manager, in relation to annual budgets.
- Makes travel plans and travel itineraries for the manager and consultants as required.
- Maintains daily “bring forward” system for the manager.
- Manages filing requirements of the manager.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion post-secondary certification in a recognized secretarial and/or office administration program.
- Minimum of 5 years’ executive assistant experience at a senior management level with preference given to those with municipal experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook.
- Knowledge of filing and management software (e.g. Laserfiche, Tempest/Prospero).
- Exceptionally well-organized and able to work effectively with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Ability to exercise mature judgement regarding confidential and sensitive information.
- Well-developed communication, discretion, and public relations skills.
- Considerable diplomacy and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and able to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, working to deadlines.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in municipal government.
- Experience in Economic Development or Tourism.
- Education in Local Government Courses (i.e.: MATI Courses, recognized college or university courses in Public Administration)
Conditions of Employment:
As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Education : Bachelor’s degree
Experience : 5 years or more