|Accounting Technician 1/2|
Accounting Technician 1/2
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
The City of Winnipeg is currently recruiting for a candidate that is actively pursuing a Chartered Professional Accountant designation to fill the role of an Accounting Technician. Accounting Technicians fall within a 3 level series whereby the duties and responsibilities increase in scope and complexity as you progress through the series. Progression through the Accounting Technician series is dependent on qualifications, and operational requirements.
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Financial Services, the Accounting Technician I/II will be responsible for performing accounting functions, including the maintenance of varied accounts and records; the review, processing and preparation of original and/or correcting journal entries; posting of entries to accounts; preparation of specified routine financial statements; etc. This is the beginning level of detailed accounting work requiring the application of public sector financial accounting principles and practices. The work is performed within well-defined procedures and instructions accompany unusual work assignments. Work is reviewed for accuracy and conformance with Departmental practices and procedures.
As the Accounting Technician I/II you will:
- Maintain, analyze and balance a variety of accounts, tracking discrepancies and preparing corrections, as required or appropriate.
- Monitor flow of data to general ledger accounts ensuring all information is processed according to established policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and as required journal entries performing necessary calculations and file maintenance, ensuring proper documentation and authorization, etc.
- Maintain or assist in the maintenance of subsidiary ledgers, reviewing and reconciling to the general ledger and preparing adjustments, as required.
- Prepare routine financial reports and statements and assists in preparation of semi complex and complex financial reports and statements.
- Assist in the preparation of business plans, budgets, financial projections and year-end working papers and financial statements
- Oversee some clerical staff assignments (i.e. purchasing, payables, cash, and receivables) to ensure financial information is provided in a timely fashion and recorded in an accurate and efficient manner (if required).
- Prepare, review and authorize various payments in accordance with Financial Management Administrative Standards.
- Provide financial support to other divisions with respect to projections, budgeting, and various other accounting processes according to established policies and procedures.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Completion of six (6) modules in the CPA PREP program (including Introduction to Financial Accounting, Introduction to Management Accounting, Economics and Statistics plus two additional courses from the program), for AT1; OR nine (9) modules in CPA PREP program (including Financial Reporting 1 and 2), for AT2; OR equivalent through a university degree program and continued enrollment in pursuance of enrollment in CPA PEP program towards obtaining their CPA designation.
- Two years of related accounting experience, for AT1; OR minimum of one (1) year experience as an Accountant Technician 1 or equivalent accounting experience of approximately 3 years, for AT2;
- Demonstrated *knowledge of accounting procedures and practices, in particular municipal accounting. *General (AT1), Good (AT2).
- Demonstrated ability to control and balance various accounting records and summaries.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare journal entries, record transactions, maintain records, and make calculations requiring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare *financial reports and statements. *Routine (AT1), Semi-complex (AT2).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate multiple tasks while delivering results on time.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with financial computer applications and Microsoft Office suite software packages.
- General knowledge of the City of Winnipeg’s PeopleSoft financial reporting system and proficiency working in the system or comparable knowledge and proficiency with financial reporting systems. Required knowledge and proficiency of PeopleSoft must be gained within 6 months of appointment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, management, other civic department personnel, external sources and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard.
To be considered for an AT2, your education and experience includes all of the above as well as:
- Experience in the control and balance of various accounting records and summaries.
- Experience preparing journal entries, recording transactions, maintaining records, and making calculations requiring accuracy and attention to detail.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Prior to commencement of employment, the successful applicant will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by providing a Government of Manitoba issued QR code and photo identification.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense.
- Continued enrollment towards Chartered Professional Accountant designation in accordance with established timelines for each level in the series.
- Continuing Education with the successful completion of additional PREP modules: a minimum completion of 1 course every 18 months.
Qualifications marked with an asterisk (*) indicate the variation in required qualifications or complexity depending on the level of position within the AT 1/2/3 series.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented