Company : Halifax Regional Municipality
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is inviting applications for the permanent position of Cement Finisher with Infrastructure Maintenance & Operations, Public Works, Sidewalks West. We encourage applications from African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform a wide variety of skilled duties related to the maintenance and repair of municipal property;
- Will be involved in repairing curbs and sidewalks including concrete finishing and asphalt repair work;
- Will be involved in activities that involve noise, vibrations, dust and fumes;
- Assist in traffic control as required;
- Other duties as a member of the work crew in the regular work program performing labour functions and related duties.
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Up to three years related work experience;
- Must have a good working knowledge of concrete and it’s applications;
- Provincial certification for Traffic Control and Provincial Signage is preferred.
Technical / Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have good attendance and work record;
- A health assessment will be required for external candidates;
- A valid Class 5 NS driver’s license will be considered as an asset;
- Familiar with related Occupational Health & Safety practices;
- Participation in the Snow & Ice Program as per Schedule ‘C’ of the Collective Agreement;
- Must be willing to accept occupational related training and achieve proficiency in operation of snow and ice equipment.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants may be required to complete an employment security screening check.
Please note - Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates, who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at the employer’s discretion.
HRM takes the health and safety of its job applicants and employees seriously. Where possible, recruitment testing and interviews will be done by way of phone, video conference, or other virtual means to assist with and encourage social distancing. For applicants with concerns about computer or internet access or to request another accommodation to the recruitment process, please contact your HR representative or [email protected]
Candidates must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and have valid licensing, as required.
Applicants are responsible to include all information that they wish to have taken into consideration in the review of their application, and applicants are required to provide full details of experience or training referenced in the posting. Applicants may be screened out of this competition at preliminary stages of review based on the insufficiency of the information provided, and the award of this position may be made solely on the basis of the information provided in the electronic submission without any requirement that the Employer contact the candidate for further elaboration on information referenced in the application.
COMPETENCIES: Communication, Customer Service, Teamwork and Cooperation, Organization and Planning, Valuing Diversity
WORK STATUS: One (1) permanent, full time position
HOURS OF WORK: Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; 40 hours per week.
SALARY: $24.99 per hour as per the CUPE Local 108 Collective Agreement
WORK LOCATION: 3825 MacKintosh Street, Halifax (Supervisor: Jeff Miller)
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm on May 19, 2022
This is a bargaining unit position. External applicants will only be considered if there are no qualified bargaining unit candidates.
Please note - we thank all candidates for their application, however, only those contacted for an interview/assessment will be contacted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
(position # 72291824)