|Agricultural Research & Development Manager|
Agricultural Research & Development Manager
Company : Cavendish Farms
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Prince Edward Island
AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Cavendish Farms is a leading producer of frozen food products for retail and foodservice throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world. We have state-of-the-art potato processing plants in Prince Edward Island, Lethbridge, Alberta and Jamestown, North Dakota, and an appetizer plant in Whealtey, Ontario. Our Head Office is in Dieppe, New Brunswick and has sales office locations in Toronto and Boston.
The Agricultural Research & Development Manager will be responsible to create synergies and develop new agricultural products and practices to support potato commercial program. This role emcompases 3 main pillars; innovation, variety development and technical support to see & commercial growers. Development of strategic projects in collaboration with public and private Agricultural Research institutes, to look for top technologies available to support Cavendish Farms business, management of the potato variety program, provide technical support to growers and establishment of innovative projects.
- Development of new processing potato varieties, transfer new techniques for seed and commercial production.
- Work with private and public breeding institutions to obtain new promising potato varieties for testing and distribution to growers.
- Assists with the management and direction of the research and development programs to meet organizational needs and to capitalize on potential new products.
- Develops and implements research and development procedures and techniques.
- Oversees complex research projects, analyzes results and provides recommendations based on findings.
- Ensures staff execute their day-to-day tasks
- Implement protocols, screen and qualify new potato varieties to get more adapted varieties with high field yield potential to support the business on raw material cost reduction.
- Training and coaching of human capital; spread culture of team work and collaboration, sharing good practices, technical and business information to the Team.
- Assists with the management of the Ag Research Program, conducting research trials, reporting all technical advances, new technologies and products to generate solutions to potato production system.
- Maintain key relationships with Federal and State public institutions, in order to import or export new varieties for testing.
- Establishment of best agricultural practices to optimize field productivity and quality.
- Determine the scope of research projects and assists with ensuring they are on time and within budget.
- Ensured that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhere to approved budgets
Accountabilities - Ag. R&D manager is responsible for two direct reports (full-time) and seasonal labour.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Bachelors degree in Agriculture or Biology
- 5+ years of experience working in agricultural research or related field (potato research strongly preferred).
- 2+ years of management experience in the agricultural industry
Key Skills/Experience Required - To be successful as a research and development manager you must:
- Have strong leadership skills, technical and business knowledge.
- Have the ability to take decisions.
- Be able to see the big picture as you will have to envision projects from start to finish.
- Have a keen ability to pay attention to details
- Have leadership and managerial skills as well as the ability to communicate well with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to think outside the box with demonstrated creativity.
- Have the ability to meet deadlines and deal with pressure, particularly around planting and harvesting seasons.
- Be able to coach staff.
Cavendish Farms is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible health, drug, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- Health & wellness reimbursements, includes gym memberships, fitness classes or online workout programs
- Maternity leave top-up program (if applicable)
- RRSP matching program
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development as well as 24/7 access to online curated learning
- Growth and progression opportunities within Cavendish Farms and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if applicable)
Work Address: Cavendish Farms Reserach Centre 25533 RTE 2, New Annan PEI
Terms of Employment: This is a permanent full-time position in New Annan, PEI - 48 hours per week
Language of Work: English
Salary: $80,000 - $120,000 with 15% Annual Bonus
Comments – For this position is important to work with a cross-functional business team to provide a robust service to the strategic potato supply program.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online or email your resume to the Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.