|Administrative Support (Summer Student)|
Administrative Support (Summer Student)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $16.75 - $22.46 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Public Prosecution Service
Location: HALIFAX REGION
Type of Employment: Student
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 5/25/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service (PPS) was established in 1990 as the first statutorily based independent prosecution service in Canada. The Public Prosecution Service is responsible for all prosecutions and appeals within the jurisdiction of the Attorney General.
With the guiding mission of providing fair and equal treatment in the prosecution of offences, the PPS prosecutes charges laid under the Criminal Code and under Nova Scotia statutes such as the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The Head Office is in Halifax and there are regional offices located throughout the province.
The core functions of the Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service are to:
- Represent the Crown in the conduct of criminal trials and quasi criminal appeals before all levels of courts.
- Participate in the development of criminal law and criminal prosecutions policy.
- Provide advice to police in respect of prosecutions generally or in respect of specific investigations.
For more information on the Public Prosecution Service please visit https://novascotia.ca/pps/
About Our Opportunity
The administrative summer student will be responsible for assisting regular staff in their day-to-day duties. Duties may include in-person and telephone reception; filing; typing; scanning; photocopying as well as various other clerical functions as required. The scope of this position requires that in addition to having excellent administrative skills, the incumbent has strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and the ability to be a team player. The successful candidate will be required to work in an environment where they will be exposed to confidential information.
You will have the opportunity to assist staff with a wide range of administrative duties that will contribute to the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Public Prosecution Service by:
- Assisting with in-person and telephone reception
- Supporting staff with their daily work
- Responding to email inquiries from the public
- Organizing, filing, and preparing documents
Qualifications and Experience
You must be currently enrolled as a student and returning to school in the fall (or in the next applicable semester for the education program). This opportunity is a perfect fit for students enrolled in a legal assistant, paralegal, office or business administration program.
As the ideal candidate you:
- Are skilled with technology and Microsoft Office Suite such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills required to deal effectively with individuals in all levels of government and the public
- Have initiative, sound judgement and problem-solving skills
- Are organized and able to prioritize your work
- Work well in both independent and team-based work environments
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
- Normal work week is 35 hours/week, 7 hours/day
- Typically located in a comfortable office environment
- Much of the time is spent in a comfortable position with frequent opportunity to move about
- Regularly reads and interprets multiple sources of information, regular requirement to type, read and work on a computer
- May experience pressure with deadlines and need for accuracy
Salary Range: $16.75 - $22.46 Hourly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]