Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $63,830 - $84,069 a year
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 22760
Ministry: Justice & Solicitor General
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Regular/Temporary: Temporary (position end date December 18, 2022)
Closing Date: January 24, 2022
Classification: Subsidiary 12B 3625 Technologies 5
The Ministry of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General helps ensure that all Albertans can live in safe and resilient communities while having access to a fair and innovative justice system. Working alongside its partners in law enforcement, family justice, health, the judiciary, criminal justice system and other stakeholders, the ministry has a direct or shared responsibility in all elements of the justice system in Alberta. Follow the link to see what else we have to offer:
The staff members of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner are committed to the provision of high quality services to Albertans. Activities performed enable the Office to certify the cause and manner of death in accordance with the Fatalities Inquiries Act; provide forensic service, assist in educating Albertans in time of grief; and develop and maintain a center of excellence in forensic pathology and toxicology.
Information regarding the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner can be found by visiting our website at:
Conduct toxicology analysis to detect, identify and accurately quantify alcohol, drugs and other toxins in biological (ante-mortem and/or post-mortem) samples and occasionally drug paraphernalia material for the purpose of determining their direct and indirect involvement in fatalities under investigation.
- Extract and purify drugs and other toxins from blood, tissues and paraphernalia
- Identify and quantify drugs, drug metabolites and other toxins by interpreting liquid and gas chromatography and mass spectrometry chromatograms
- Accurately prepare analytical standards and controls
- Perform mathematical calculations and construct calibration graphs
- Perform routine maintenance on specialized equipment
- Adhere to Health & Safety regulations by safely performing all duties and handling all chemicals and equipment, as required
The successful candidate will:
- Have extensive knowledge and experience in the use of LC-MS and GC-MS techniques for the quantification of drugs in biological specimens
- Have knowledge and experience in the use of automated immunoassay instrumentation, quality control procedures and safe handling of potentially infectious biological specimens
- Possess good communication skills (both verbal and written) and be able to liaise with engineers when required
- Be meticulous and pay careful attention to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Be able to manage a heavy workload
A technical diploma (e.g., Chemistry, Microbiology) with a minimum of 4 years post-graduate experience working in a busy medical (or similar) laboratory is required.
- A technical diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- A technical diploma in Biological Sciences
Equivalencies will be considered as follows:
Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of: 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
Please provide a cover letter demonstrating how your experience relates to the requirements of the position.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
$2,445.61 to $3,221.06 bi-weekly
$63,830- $84,069 per annum
Hours of work per week – 36.25
Temporary Salaried position with end date December 18, 2022
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a Security Screening.
What we offer:
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- Health Spending Account:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies across government at the same or lower classification.
Please outline how your experience as it relates to the qualifications in detail in your cover letter.
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
All Government of Alberta employees are required to adhere to the Proof of COVID 19 Vaccination policy by providing:
- Proof of full COVID 19 vaccination;
- If you have not provided proof of COVID 19 vaccination, you may select to produce a negative PCR (molecular polymerase chain reaction) or rapid test result, date-stamped within 72 hours of every scheduled work day/shift, on an ongoing basis starting on December 14, 2021. These tests will be paid for by the employee;
- Employees who are unable to get vaccinated based on a protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act may request approval for an exemption and accommodation. Please contact [email protected] if you are requesting an exemption and accommodation. This offer is therefore conditional upon your adherence to the requirements noted within the Government of Alberta’s Proof of Vaccination Policy.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Ashley Mondor at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check