|Geotechnical and Drainage Engineer|
Geotechnical and Drainage Engineer
Company : Manitoba Government
Salary : $74,404 - $94,528 a year
Location : Manitoba
Geotechnical and Drainage Engineer
EG3 Engineer 3
Highway Design Branch - Engineering and Technical Services Division
Advertisement Number: 38437
Salary(s): EG3 $74,404.00 - $94,528.00 per year
Closing Date: January 24, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect until exhausted.
Highway Design Branch plans, designs, manages and protects the province’s highway system. The Branch provides design, standards, specifications, policies, technical evaluation, guidance and approval. The Branch’s roles also include research, assessment, management, and review of development affecting the transportation system. These allow for a safe, reliable and efficient highway network.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a Valid Class 5 Driver's licence.
- Must be able to travel frequently to work sites within the Province by ground and/or air transportation.
- Must have a Bachelor-level degree in Engineering (Civil) or equivalency recognized by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
- Must be able to work extended hours for periods of time as projects demand.
- Extensive experience in geotechnical engineering with emphasis on investigation, analysis and design for transportation and/or civil projects.
- Extensive experience in analysis and design of drainage works with emphasis on hydraulic analysis and the design of culverts, channels, drainage ditches and erosion control measures.
- Extensive project management experience in the delivery of planning, design and construction projects to meet schedules, budgets and deliverables.
- Effective interpersonal skills to develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze, problem solve and provide alternatives and recommendations for resolving complex issues.
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to create and/or complete clear and concise correspondence.
- Knowledge of government and department tendering and procurement policies and practices for construction and engineering contracts.
- Post graduate education specializing in geotechnical engineering.
Reporting to the Senior Geotechnical Engineer, the Geotechnical and Drainage Engineer performs engineering activities from planning through preliminary design, detailed design and construction; provides specialized engineering advice & technical guidance; oversees geotechnical and drainage investigations; performs engineering analysis and design for the construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of highways and related transportation infrastructure. The Geotechnical and Drainage Engineer conducts product evaluations, develops specifications, prepares and presents technical reports, conducts seminars, and provides technical guidance to department staff.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.