|Development Approvals Technician|
Development Approvals Technician
Company : Niagara Region
Salary : $28.64 - $30.30 an hour
Location : Ontario
Infrastructure Planning & Engineering
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
To be responsible for all aspects of Review/Analysis of Development Applications, on a Region-wide basis, from an Engineering perspective within a specified time period, in order to prepare recommendations and/or responses on behalf of the Corporation to the appropriate agency/authority, firm/private individual or other Planning and Development Services staff. This includes preparation for and participation in pre-consultation meetings with local municipalities, developers, and other staff.
Also, on behalf of the Ministry of the Environment, to be responsible for reviewing and assisting in the approval of engineering design submissions by consultants and municipalities on sanitary and storm sewers projects on a Region wide basis.
- Completion of a 3-year community college program, with a diploma in Civil Engineering or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in the municipal field.
- Must be certified or eligible for certification as a Certified Engineering Technologist with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in municipal engineering projects. Working knowledge of planning and engineering regulations and guidelines for municipal development.
- Must possess knowledge of the Regional Water and Sewer System, Ministry of Environment (M.O.E.) guidelines for the design of municipal works, the Environmental Assessment Act, and Niagara Region policies.
- Must comply with O.A.C.E.T.T. Act & Code of Ethics.
- Must possess knowledge of computer applications such as IDARTS, Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Niagara Atlas to perform job functions.
- Must possess strong technical report writing skills.
- Must possess knowledge of municipal sewer and water main design.
- Must be able to provide preliminary technical comments at pre-consultation meetings regarding potential developments.
- Must possess good communication, customer service and relationship management skills.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.