Supervisor, Leisure Centres
Company : City of Regina
Salary : $34.70 - $43.24 an hour
Location : Saskatchewan
This position manages and coordinates operation of multi-purpose leisure complexes which include aquatic, fitness, recreation and sport programs, competitive and special event programs and services. This position may also assist with the development and implementation of other aquatic, sport, arts, culture and recreation programs and opportunities within the Branch. This position reports to the Coordinator, Sport and Recreation Facilities and supervises program, aquatic and administrative staff.
Typical duties include:
- Responsible for the coordination of all activities at the facility and provides administrative direction to ensure that rental and program plans are delivered in accordance with the respective schedules, safety standards and that the site is ready for all activities.
- Oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of a wide range of aquatics, fitness, recreation, sport and arts and culture programs and services.
- Responsible to research and investigate new trends as it relates to program development and delivery and facility management through the identification of the leisure needs of the citizens of Regina.
- Coordinate, promote and implement strategies to maximize participation, revenue generation, and facility utilization through marketing programs and strategies; and through the provision of leisure, fitness, recreation and aquatic programs and services.
- Develop and promote responsive relationships with community organizations and customers to ensure efficient facility utilization.
- Manage public complaints and public input processes related to the operation of assigned facilities, programs and services.
- Supervise, recruit, train, schedule, and evaluate performance of staff.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the division and section strategic plan; and coordinates, develops and implements short- and long-range work plans.
- Assist with the coordination and planning of facility maintenance, annual shutdowns and capital improvements.
- Prepare related operating budgets; approves requisitions, expenditures and other transactions within the limits of authority; monitors annual operating expenditures and revenues and reports variances; and assists in preparing capital budget submissions.
- Develop, implement and evaluate policies and procedures which ensure the fair, efficient and effective utilization of facilities and program operation.
- Co-ordinate and ensure the collection and analysis of program data and submits statistical and evaluation reports.
- Ensure implementation and adherence to approved civic policies and practices related to the safe, effective and cost-effective aspects of the assigned work operation.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through completion a university degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration or Social Science with related recreation and facility management courses coupled with three (3) to five (5) years related experience in sport, culture, aquatic, recreation and fitness program development and delivery, aquatic facility management and operation, and two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophy, principles, trends, and objectives of sport, culture and recreation service delivery, community leisure, fitness and aquatic programming and aquatic facility management
- Thorough knowledge of corporate and department policies and procedures required to effectively administer direct program services and to manage human resources.
- Knowledge of the principals and practices employed in water safety, lifeguarding and instructing.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures dealing with swimming pool operation, as outlined by relevant acts, bylaws, and policies.
- Knowledge of local government administration.
- Knowledge and understanding of needs assessment process and the ability to utilize the information in program development and delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs of Regina citizens as it relates to leisure services.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting processes, including demonstrated skill in financial management.
- Ability to interpret local union agreements and effectively deal with any concerns or problems in this area.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in performance management including planning and delegated work.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of assigned staff and ensure assigned tasks and duties are effectively and efficiently completed.
- Ability to research, analyzes data, translate program needs into facility requirements and prepare comprehensive evaluation reports. Skill in preparing and presenting reports.
- Ability to organize and conduct effective staff and public meetings.
- Ability to speak effectively in public and express ideas effectively in oral or written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments. Ability to communicate effectively, coach, support and encourage positive human relations.
- Ability to work with a high degree of initiative and independence.
- Considerable organizational skills to ensure and provide for maximum service and program delivery. Skill in scheduling work to maximize work productivity, measure work, output against standards and adjust resource allocations as necessary.
- Must have the means to travel within the City of Regina.
- Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education. *
** In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment. **
***In accordance with the City of Regina’s Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administration Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or provide proof of negative COVID-19 test on a routine basis. ***