New Job Software Developer (Computer Services Officer 3) In Nova Scotia
Software Developer (Computer Services Officer 3)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $4,977 - $6,061 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Temporary
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 12/3/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS) is a new organization within the government of Nova Scotia, with a mission to change the way government interacts with citizens. Our team is large, diverse, and passionate about making a difference to citizens’ lives. We believe in user-centered iterative digital service design, and practice internet era ways of working.
In this temporary position, you will gain government experience and learn what it is like to be a part of a dynamic team. This bargaining unit position may open doors to new and exciting opportunities.
We focus on:
- Delivering excellent services, built around the needs of users
- Providing public servants with the digital services and tools they need to enable collaboration, add value, and be effective
- Supporting and enabling the Nova Scotia public service to use new approaches to deliver better government in the internet era
About Our Opportunity
As a Software Developer (Computer Services Officer 3), you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team working alongside Product Managers, Senior Software Developers, Service Designers, User Researchers and development operations. Software Developers are responsible for taking user research and designs and turning them into real, usable prototypes and services in code.
As the Software Developer, you will participate in the code design and development of new digital products and services. You will also be responsible for the on-going success and continuous improvement of one or more digital products.
- Making working software;
- Understanding user needs and designing services that meet them;
- Designing user-centered interfaces and transaction flows;
- Writing clean, secure code that is open by default and easy for others to reuse;
- Operating the services they build and identifying issues in production;
- Continuously improving code in response to known defects and emerging user needs;
- Creating and rapidly iterating prototypes to help the wider team learn about user needs for different scenarios or tasks;
- Working with other members of the multi-disciplinary team to turn concepts into user-centered services, and to help promote best practice;
- Contributing to designing interaction patterns and standards, looking for common features across services;
Qualifications and Experience
As an experienced Software Developer, you have a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology plus three (3) years related experience; or graduation from a recognized Information Technology Program + three (3) years and six (6) months related experience;
You will be able to demonstrate with evidence experience:
- Developing prototypes and services guided by user research and a human-centered service design approach;
- Developing software that meets accessibility standards;
- Building code that leverages open standards and embraces leading practices, including the use of open source software where appropriate.
- Developing back-end software using skills in .NET, Java, PHP, Python, and/or C#
- Working directly with front-end code to develop digital products, using skills in HTML, CSS, Java Script, and frameworks such as React or Angular;
- Experience working with a range of databases including both relational and non-relational, open-source, and cloud-native;
- Integrating front and back-end systems that use RESTful web services;
- Working in technical teams in complex environments using an agile delivery methodology;
- Developing services using OpenShift or Microsoft Azure development platforms;
- Designing interactions that take web security into consideration by design;
Please include a cover letter of no more than one-page that demonstrates your experience with each of the above.We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of related training and experience may be accepted in place of education requirements. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs.
This is a temporary position with an end date of March 31, 2022. The appointment status (‘temporary’ or ‘casual’) is dependent on the start date of the successful candidate.
On October 6, 2021 the Government of Nova Scotia announced full vaccination will be a condition of employment for new staff being hired.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: PR 14
Salary Range: $2,488.52 - $3,030.25 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]