New Job Medical Laboratory Assistant - Laboratory Services - Multiple Sites (Cehhc) In Nova Scotia
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Laboratory Services - Multiple Sites (CEHHC)
Company : Nova Scotia Health Authority
Salary : $21.74 - $24.63 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Req ID: 106446
Location: Northern Zone, Colchester East Hants Health Centre
Department: PLM Lab Centralized CEH
Type of Employment: Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: CUPE
Posting Closing Date: 14-Oct-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Under the direction of Management (or designate), the Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) works in collaboration with and supports all members of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PLM) by performing various functions relating to the pre and post-analytical phases of testing. These functions can include: specimen procurement/receipt/processing, data entry, media/reagent/smear preparation, sterilization, clerical duties, and loading specimens on an analyzer. Additional responsibilities may include: supply management, troubleshooting, and customer service activities.
Positive patient identification and accurate specimen handling are essential to the job. Duties vary based on the operational requirements of the laboratory site/division/area/community in which the MLA is employed. The MLA may be required to work rotating shifts, weekends, and/or holidays, work off-site including long term care (LTC) facilities, communities or private homes dependent on the need. The MLA may also be required to interact with various stakeholders and clients. Incumbents must adhere to all applicable NSHA/PLM policies and procedures. Strict adherence to safety and infection prevention and control procedures is required. MLAs must be able to work independently, use good judgment, maintain a professional appearance (adhering to dress code policy) and demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant Program or equivalent (as determined by employer)
- Candidates must have successfully completed the Medical Laboratory Assistant examinations of the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) and have current registration with CSMLS (Where there are no applicants who meet the above qualification, consideration may be given to applicants who agree and commit to completing an accredited MLA program and achieving certification with CSMLS within one year of hire date)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology.
- Strong attention to detail
- Manual dexterity to handle sharp instruments and small objects.
- Must be able to perform procedures with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to accurately number/label specimens and file slides/requisitions
- Ability to adapt to updates/changes in operating procedures
- Basic computer skills, Meditech experience is preferred
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
- Access to reliable transportation as travel may be required
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
Hours of Work
Long Assignment Full Time Position; 75 hours bi-weekly
With an approximate start date of July 19, 2021 and an expected end date of July 19, 2022 (approx. 12 months)
These are anticipated dates and may be subject to change
Medical Laboratory Assistant:
$21.7426 - $24.6304 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health NSH) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/