New Job General Electrician (Up To 2 Positions) In Manitoba
General Electrician (Up to 2 Positions)
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the general supervision of the Electrical Foreman, the Electrician performs skilled journey level electrical maintenance, repair, analysis, testing, construction and installations of electrical systems and equipment under the Department/Divisions jurisdiction in accordance with standard trade practices and work methods.
As the General Electrican you will:
- Layout, install, test, troubleshoot, and repair electrical equipment and/or systems in accordance with instructions, plans and/or relevant codes. Systems may include main\branch distributions, fire alarm and security systems, heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, underground and aerial power and lighting systems (including assembly and erection of exterior pole lighting), low voltage and control systems and programmable logic controllers.
- Perform preventative maintenance on electrical systems and/or equipment and adjusts repairs, replaces and modifies components as required.
- Provide estimates for time, labour and material on electrical equipment and system installation, modification and repair.
- Delegate and oversee Trades Helpers and Apprentices as assigned and may act as Electrician Foreman as required and assigned.
- Coordinate and oversee work performed by Contractors to ensure compliance with all applicable codes, Departmental standards and approved drawings and/or specifications.
- Attend training session to keep abreast of changing technology new techniques, systems and equipment installed and/or utilized in the Department.
- Maintain records of work performed and prepare reports on situations as required.
- Assist in orienting and training fellow employees including demonstrating appropriate method of completing tasks.
- Perform inventory checks of tools, equipment and materials.
- Maintain cooperative working relationship with other individuals, shops, branches, agencies and departments.
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency situations to diagnose and resolve electrical issues.
- Know, understand and follow all safe work policies and practices.
- Maintain appropriate licenses.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the layout, installation, testing, troubleshooting and repairing of electrical systems in a variety of new and existing residential, commercial and industrial facilities and structures.
- Experience in installation, commissioning and maintenance on three-phase equipment up to 750 volts A/C.
- Experience in managing PLC controls, and high/low voltage control systems.
- Ability to make, update, read and interpret blueprints, drawings, specifications, charts, schematics and tables.
- Ability in using hand and power tools and all other related equipment.
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate information to a variety of audiences.
- Written communication skills with the ability to produce documents clearly and concisely.
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and meet tight timelines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Word, Excel, and other computer programs such as MAXIMO or equivalent.
- Knowledge of all regulations and City By-Laws as they relate to general facilities operation, including but not limited to – building, fire and electrical codes and pool regulations is desired.
- Knowledge of the technical principles, trade practices and technology relevant to the section\branch responsibilities is desired.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards, safe working methods, and the safety precautions that are applicable to the positions’ area of work is desired.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant(s) must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant(s) possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Must possess a valid Inter-provincial Red Seal Journeyperson Electrician HC License.
- Possession of or ability to acquire a City of Winnipeg Electrical Contractor’s License.
- Must possess and maintain St. John’s Ambulance Emergency First Aid or equivalent.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License.
- This position requires an in-depth background check and Level 2 Security Clearance by the Winnipeg Police Service. May be required to obtain a Level 3 Security Clearance by the Winnipeg Police Service.
- The successful applicant must be willing to be assigned to different facilities dependent on operational requirements with duties performed dependent on facility.
- Must be physically capable of performing all of the duties of the position, in all weather conditions. This includes, but may not be limited to climbing ladders and scaffolds, working at heights and working in confined spaces.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented