Digital Content Specialist
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $5,228 - $6,857 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 18949
Ministry: Communications and Public Engagement
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: Open until filled
Classification: Subsidiary 02B 3625 Program Services 3
Communications and Public Engagement (CPE) is the Government of Alberta’s full-service communications, public relations and marketing agency.
CPE provides planning, execution and measurement of communications efforts. Its expert staff provides specialized services across the spectrum of communications and marketing from research, design, writing and social media, to event coordination, issues management, digital communications, advertising and public consultation.
The agency staffs the external communications functions in all departments of government and its operations branch, with a mandate of enhancing communications between the people and the Government of Alberta.
For information about CPE, visit our website at
Are you a talented digital content creator comfortable working in fast-paced environment?
The Government of Alberta is hiring multiple Digital Content Specialists to help reach Albertans on social media, web and video channels where they consume news and information. The ideal candidates will have a mix of creative thinking, writing including script writing, editing, design, photography, infographics, content management systems, image and video editing, analytics and strategic planning skills, and will have significant experience with major social media platforms.
The Digital Communications Specialist will work within a communications branch and support the digital content needs of one or more ministries. The specialist will work collaboratively with communications advisors, will be supported by central web, graphic design and videographer teams. In addition to digital content creation, this role will create and manage digital communications strategic plans, monitor digital media channels, proactively look for communications opportunities, and develop web content for department programs. The position may also be required to develop and manage print products such as fact cards.
University Degree in a related field supplemented by two years of progressively responsible experience.
Equivalency: Diploma in a related field plus 2 years of progressively responsible related experience. Related experience or education will be considered as an equivalency on a one for one basis.
- Experience with writing, editing, managing social media projects, and developing images and videos for online platforms.
- Experience with video script and social media writing and editing.
- Experience with photography and graphic design, infographics, content management systems, analytics and strategic planning skills, and significant experience with major social media platforms.
- 3+ years of experience with communications strategic planning and/or social media strategic planning.
- Significant experience in graphic design/video production.
- Experience proof reading, formatting, copying and editing on external media before going live.
- Experience working with Canva and/or Adobe Creative Cloud.
Note: Applicants are advised to provide a cover letter summarizing information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education and experience.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
The successful candidate will have superior verbal and written communications skills as well as the following competencies:
- Drive for Results
- Develop Self and Others
- Build Collaborative Environments
- Develop Networks
- Systems Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
$2,613.91 to $3,428.61 bi-weekly ($68,223 - $89,487/year)
Location: Various Locations, Edmonton AB
Hours of Work: 7.25 hours per day/36.25 hours per week
Note: There are multiple permanent-full time positions.
- Final Candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening.
- This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies at equal or lesser classification across the Government of Alberta.
- In your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience. Please also indicate whether your work experience was part-time or full-time. For example: January 2006 - June 2009: Full Time.
- Short listed candidates will be asked to provide one video and two social media examples of their work.
Tips on Applying on Alberta Government Jobs see here:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
The Government of Alberta is implementing a proof of COVID 19 vaccination policy for all Alberta Public Service employees, to improve the health and safety of Alberta Public Service employees and Albertans we serve.
- Proof of COVID 19 vaccination;
- If you are a successful candidate and have not provided proof of COVID 19 vaccination, you may select to produce a negative PCR (molecular polymerase chain reaction) or rapid test result, date-stamped within 72 hours of every scheduled work day/shift, on an ongoing basis starting on December 14, 2021. These tests will be paid for by the employee;
- Candidates and employees who are unable to get vaccinated based on a protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act may request approval for an exemption and accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted, via email.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Cindy Zaiffdeen at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check