New job Clerk III in British Columbia
Company : City of Vancouver
Salary : $28.56 - $33.56 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 33236
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Clerk III is responsible for efficient and effective operations of the office of the CEO of Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency (VAHA), and supports staff within the team. This position provides complex administrative support to the above noted teams.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to, Supervisor of Administration Services, ACCS
- Assistant to Ryan Bigelow – CEO of Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency (VAHA)
- Provides administrative support to Non-Market Housing Operations (NMHO)
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for providing the following support to all individuals of the VAHA team.
Administrative Assistant Duties to the two Executives:
- Plans, organizes, co-ordinates and manages the Executive’s schedules, priorities, appointments, internal and external meetings, workshops, etc., while continually working with multiple, competing, changing priorities.
- Arranging/setting up complex meetings which includes rescheduling, cancelling, marking vacation & events, setting up conference call, booking meeting rooms & coordinating with other Admin Assistants and senior management internally and externally.
- Drafts correspondence, agendas, records minutes, e-mails, contracts, and screens phone and voicemails to direct inquiries
- Set up and tear down of meeting rooms, books workshop and meeting venues, orders catering, welcomes meeting guests by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries
- Verifies and reviews Executive’s and Departmental purchase card expenditures online on BMO website. Adds comments, make corrections as necessary, update status, collecting receipts and printing monthly statement and submission to Accounts Payable
- Organizing office filing system e.g. paper and digital including creation of new folders, maintaining an electronic file list, arranging, organising, and archiving and shredding paper files as required.
- Preparation, completion and submission of receipts and form for Petty Cash/Daily Expenditures.
- Arranges and submits paperwork for approval/signatures
- Registrations and RSVP’ing for events
- Maintaining, updating, and printing copies of tracking documents (e.g. council motions, council reports, public hearing schedule, etc.) for reoccurring meetings
- Monitoring, preparing and coordinating responses to emails/enquires through relevant housing & VAHA admin email box
- Taking/typing notes of recommendations from key team meetings
- Scheduling interviews for recruitment processes, as required and new employee orientation/set up and conduct orientation to city policies and procedures for new staff
- Coordinating review of FOI document release requests assigned to the team
- Updates contact list in Outlook by inputting information from business cards.
- Informs team of safety updates and office / floor area management plans for team office space (if required)
Other Admin duties and team support:
- Formatting and processing reports to Council by saving to Vandocs and uploading to SharePoint, includes proper naming convention; Maintains Council Report binders (includes hard copy of the report and minutes), instructions, flow chart; Liaising & concurring departments and City Clerks and performs council report research.
- Communicates information regarding City Council and Standing Committee agendas, including In-Camera agendas and advises both Executives of any significant items. Also,communicates information about variety of meetings such as CMT agendas, Steering Committees, Task Forces, project work, etc. for deadlines, meetings and critical management issues and communicates department related matters to executive staff.
- Initialise and finalize travel and training forms for the team, including registering, making travel and hotel arrangements prior to the event and collecting receipts, tallying expenditures and submitting for reimbursement to the employee;
- Administering timesheet updates, approvals and submissions and vacation schedules including tracking and submission of Council, Board or Public Meeting time records;
- Formatting and editing large complex reports from various sources using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Provides user support on Vandocs, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Weber, Jabber, etc.
- Updates the Non-Market Inventory website/database (includes liaising with Site’s Sponsor to gather or confirm information (e.g. units available, occupancy date, “how to apply” info, maps (flash), etc.)
- Facilitate creation of shopping cart items, shopping cart approvals and recording good/service receipts
- Organizing date and venues for special events
- Organize reoccurring meeting Housing Team Meetings, including drafting the Agenda for Chair, & arrange rotation.
- Printing documents & maps using Plotter, photocopying, scanning, printing, faxing, mail, research etc.
- Purchasing of online data and research
- Supports project cost reconciliation and invoicing for recovery from funding partners and non-profit delivery partners
- Correlate simple statistical information collected in the course of research carried out by the Team using Excel or other accessible research tools.
- Supports NMHO in initiating and maintaining appropriate processes and reports regarding tenant accounts including, but not limited to, payments, arrears, overpayments annual rent review, pre-authorized rent payments, NSF payments, vacancies, etc.
- Provides administrative support to NMHO in preparing accurate rent calculations, subsidies, adjustments and annual reviews by analyzing and interpreting financial documents and initiates investigations when required
- Supports the initiation and maintenance of appropriate NMHO tenant and property management software systems and documentation to ensure data accuracy and effective metric reporting requirements
- Enhances administrative support efforts and tasks in maintaining NMHO personnel files that are not sensitive in nature
- Supports administrative functions as assigned relating to NMHO tenant relocation projects, tenant transfer requirements, as well as tenant eligibility statuses and maintains key tracking mechanisms to support complete operationalization of new builds and capital improvement projects or redevelopments
- Prepares and records files for NMHO tenant move out and / or estate management practices and processes.
- Enters data into spreadsheets/manual, digital databases, various software platforms, etc., and generates reports.
- Ensures accurate NMHO tenant file management, including paper files and online. Maintains the COV’s standard filing systems.
- Prepares a wide variety of NMHO departmental and general correspondence, forms, and documentation packages in a timely and accurate manner.
- Identifies opportunities to reassess and modify NMHO’s standard procedures to improve efficiency and outcomes
- Collates financial expenses for NMHO buildings within the portfolio, highlights trends or patterns for management awareness, and follow up.
- Prepares correspondence, standard reports, and analysis on NMHO property operations.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of 12th Grade preferable including or supplemented by courses in commercial and administration subjects or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- This position requires a very organized individual with at least 3-5 years’ experience working at a senior management level in an administrative capacity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, practices and procedures is a necessity
- Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook (e-mail and scheduling), as well as the ability to navigate and do research on the World Wide Web (www) is a necessity.
- Superior computer skills are a necessity; a minimum of 70 wpm typing.
- Knowledge of presentation software (such as PowerPoint) and knowledge of project management software (such as Microsoft Office Project and Access) is an asset.
- Knowledge of modern office equipment (e.g. fax machine, voice-mail, scanners, multi-purpose machines, etc.) is a necessity.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and business math is a necessity.
- A thorough knowledge of departmental and corporate rules, regulations, policies, procedures, processes and functions is highly desirable. Familiarity with the City Clerk’s office, City Council, its Standing Committees, Public Hearings is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with specific CoV office systems (e.g. SAP, EHAF, VanRims and VanDocs, SharePoint, Adobe Pro, MapInfo, VanMap, VBA Macro) is an asset.
- A background in municipal government and knowledge of community issues (e.g. social, housing, development and licensing issues, etc.) is an asset.
- Superior communication, interpersonal, organisational skills, good judgement, constant initiatives and diplomacy are a necessity.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff of various civic departments and representatives of outside agencies.
- Ability to make decisions about spontaneous events (e.g. what to do with “drop-in” visitors or difficult telephone inquiries, etc.)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, under pressure, establish work priorities, to multi-task, and to develop and maintain effective work procedures and processes. The position requires an accelerated work pace in order to serve two executives and address their constantly changing priorities. Must manage multiple competing responsibilities and tight deadlines is necessary.
- Ability to record, compile and draft reports, correspondence, minutes, etc., as required
- Initiative and ability to foresee the need for a meeting or communication and to arrange this (e.g. a briefing from staff, a phone call, composition of a piece of correspondence, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and process a large volume of work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of accuracy while meeting prescribed deadlines
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $28.56 to $33.56 per hour
Application Close: October 17, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approximately. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.