New Job Clerk 3 In Nova Scotia
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $3,158 - $3,534 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Lands and Forestry
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 11/9/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Nova Scotia is rich in natural resources – including biodiversity, forests, geological resources, provincial parks and the land we manage. The Department of Lands and Forestry is responsible for the development, management, conservation and protection of forest, mineral, parks and wildlife resources and the administration of the province's Crown land. Together we are working with Nova Scotians to build a better future through sustainable natural resource management as we all benefit from the natural health and wealth of the province.
With the introduction of the new cabinet on August 31st, 2021, some Nova Scotia Government departments are going through name changes and structural transitions. Until administrative & system updates are made, the name of these departments, as it appears in the posting, might be impacted. Meanwhile, if you require clarification, please contact [email protected]
About Our Opportunity
Working under minimal supervision, you will perform a variety of responsible and complex clerical assignments requiring independent analysis, exercise of judgement, and a detailed knowledge of procedures, rules, acts and regulations. You will perform duties involving more technical clerical tasks.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Compiling complex reports and drawing data from a variety of sources from within and outside of the work group.
- Preparing reports from statistical and financial information to ensure management receives appropriate information in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintaining statements, accounts, and database records within established procedures, taking appropriate action to secure or make payment or resolve discrepancies.
- Preparing letters, memoranda, and reports for approval, while following up on pending issues.
- Maintaining filing system of original source documents for audit and other legal or organizational requirements.
- Dealing with internal clients or external sources, such as clients or suppliers, to resolve non-routine queries and problems.
As the Clerk 3, you will report to the Manager.
Qualifications and Experience
This may be the right opportunity for you if you have four (4) years of related experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered.
The successful candidate should also:
- Be eligible to act as a Commissioner of Oath in accordance with the Notaries and Commissioners Act for Administering Oaths.
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to present information in a clear, concise manner (both verbally and written).
- Have proficiency in data entry and in the use of a variety of computer applications including: Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point.
You consistently maintain a professional and courteous disposition and hold a high standard for client and customer service. You have exceptional and organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines under pressure. You exercise considerable initiative and judgement and can recognize and respond to urgent situations appropriately. Additionally, you possess a high level of diplomacy, tact, confidentiality, and professionalism. To be successful in this role you must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
The following are considered assets:
- Completion of secretarial/office administration training/program.
- Previous cash handling experience.
- Experience and/or training in radio communication.
- Knowledge and experience with the department/government financial processes and policies.
- Familiarity with many department/government programs, regulations, statutes, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of time entry using SAP or a similar program.
We will assess the above qualifications using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
On October 6, 2021 the Government of Nova Scotia announced full vaccination will be a condition of employment for new staff being hired. View the news release.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: CL 18
Salary Range: $1,579.09 - $1,766.79 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]