New Job Administrative Assistant - Emergency Services In Manitoba
Administrative Assistant - Emergency Services
Company : Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under direction of the Emergency Services Operations (ESO) Manager, this position is required to support the ESO Security, Fire and Emergency Preparedness programs. The incumbent is responsible for assisting with implementing, administering and maintaining the Security, Fire and Emergency Preparedness Programs documentation, training plans, drills, exercises and records. The Programs Assistant will provide direct support to the Personnel Security Officer by completing personnel enhanced reliability checks and Security Clearances for all new employees, attached staff, students and contractors. In addition the incumbent will provide support to the Emergency Preparedness Manager by assisting with review and revision of emergency preparedness documentation and in the design and delivery of emergency exercises and drills.
CNL Employees perform all duties in accordance with established health and safety and regulations/guidelines, policies and procedures (i.e. utilizing personal protective equipment as per safe work procedures). Notifies management or supervisor of all occurrences, injuries, illnesses or safety and health concerns which are likely to harm themselves, their co-workers or any other on the premises in a timely manner and in accordance with established reporting requirements.
- Secondary school graduation, plus one year post-secondary in Office Administration or other similar program, or the equivalent in experience.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience, or the equivalent.
Abilities and Skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Level 2 (Secret) Government of Canada security clearance.
- Must be able to train and obtain a CNL Personnel Security Officer (PSO) designation
- Provide timecard entry support efficiently and accurately.
- Must have or develop detailed knowledge of the CNL security policy and of operating procedures in this position.
- Prepare, process, format documents and reports, obtain reviews and signatures as required.
- Provide copy editing of documents to make sure they adhere to procedural requirements.
- Act as assistant to the Manager by helping to organize their time, i.e., arrange/maintain schedules of meetings, maintain MS Outlook calendar, arrange travel, schedule appointments, arrange teleconference and video conference meetings, assist in the preparation of presentation material and in the setup of equipment, coordinate external meetings, etc.
- Act as liaison between Manager/Supervisors and their direct reports, assisting staff and others as required in the preparation of standard, high-quality material, i.e., composing routine correspondence, formatting and issuing correspondence, participating in the operation and maintenance of record keeping systems (both electronic and hard-copy) as required, purchasing office supplies and other materials using e-Procure / Oracle.
- Monitor staff leave throughout the year.
- Coordinate and draft various reports, e.g., weekly reports to stakeholders.
- Facilitate staffing issues, handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Handle all aspects of communications, i.e., responding to telephone inquiries, recording accurate messages, re-directing calls as appropriate.
- Monitor and coordinate ESO employee training activities and records.
- General office duties including typing, photocopying, maintaining office equipment, restocking of supply cupboards, scanning, booking conference rooms, arranging catering, etc.
- Ensure regular interactions with other Administrative Assistants at CRL and WL.
- Demonstrates a “safety first” attitude.
- Exhibits a great deal of initiative and good judgement.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy, trust and discretion in handling of sensitive and confidential information.
- Must be a responsible, well-organized, and reliable individual, who is highly motivated, and possesses a professional attitude. Demonstrated ability to use initiative and apply judgment in an environment of changing and often conflicting priorities.
- Must be team oriented and have demonstrated the ability to effectively interface with internal/external clients, particularly those at other sites or external to CNL, and promote a positive work environment.
- Knowledgeable of the Company’s general policies and procedures, organization structure, and the Whiteshell Laboratories site.
- Must embrace the ever-changing work environment and proactively make recommendations to change, be willing to help others to accept and understand change, share their skills, and proactively learn new skills.
- Initiative and judgement to organize and maintain flow of work and accuracy of records.
- Must be punctual, dependable and safety minded.
- Detail oriented with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational skills, able to prioritize and time management is required.
- Ability to understand detailed information is essential.
- Demonstrates responsibility and is accountable for accurately handling the details associated with one’s work.
- Conscientious about accuracy.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and response with initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and proven ability to maintain successful working relations at all levels within the organization and with external stakeholders.
- Highly motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work extended hours and off normal work shifts to support project needs, if needed.
- Job/Industry Specific Knowledge
- Must possess good knowledge of the correct usage, spelling, and punctuation of the English language, and must be highly experienced and proficient in editing and handling large documents.
- Must have or be able to acquire working knowledge of CNL’s formal document template and forms; quick turn-around in the production of documents is essential; experience in document control would be a definite asset.
- Must have a sound working knowledge of computers with the ability to understand, use, apply and combine a variety of software. In particular, must have high working level knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience with electronic document management systems (such as ATOM); DevonWay, myCNL webpage, MS Access would be an asset. Must have an understanding of the shared area concept. Must have a working knowledge of office equipment such as laser and colour printers, FAX machines, photocopiers, and scanners.
Functions and Responsibilities
Functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Schedule appointments and meetings (including tele/video conferencing), prepare folders for meetings, arrange catering, sort mail, place purchase orders, photocopying/scanning, maintain calendars, and arrange travel.
- Track deadlines and priorities.
- Handle all aspects of communications such as responding to queries, internal and external telephone inquiries, and email communication, as appropriate.
- Undertake special assignments on behalf of the Manager, such as organization of meetings and workshops with both internal and external participants.
- Perform functions and responsibilities as related to PSO positionInitiating, processing, tracking and updating the Reliability Checks and Security Clearances for all new employees, attached staff, students and contractors in a timely fashion including:
- Preparing documents and forms used during the hire-on process;
- Reviewing personnel security forms for accuracy;
- Authenticating documents;
- Obtaining formal written consent to conduct screening checks;
- Conducting credit checks where applicable;
- Obtaining clear sets of fingerprints;
- Interpreting any contradictions from the above checks;
- Preparing CNSC document packages to support regulatory requirements;
- Providing security briefings and interviews;
- Maintaining records of the above checks; and
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date listing of all clearance levels for staff in assigned work group.
- Maintaining up-to-date records listing the status of all security clearances held by CNL in an acceptable manner.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Section Head and other applicable Personnel Security Services personnel.
- Maintaining knowledge of branch operations and administration.
- Coordinating activities with external stakeholders such as Equifax, the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
- Document formatting, etc.
- Compose and format correspondence, agendas, minutes of meetings, data, presentation material and issue.
- Maintain department and electronic filing systems, manage public folders and shared areas.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters.
Visit our website at www.cnl.ca for more information or to apply
CNL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
CNL employees interested in the position please submit an internal competition application and résumé using our online posting board. This competition will remain posted until the position has been filled. Applications received after the closing date will be considered only after the initial selection process has been concluded and no successful candidate confirmed.