New Job Administrative Assistant Iii In British Columbia
Administrative Assistant III
Company : City of Vancouver
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 29939
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Administrative Assistant III is responsible for the efficient and effective operations of two Deputy Directors of Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (PDS) under the GM’s Office, and for providing confidential administrative services to both Deputy Directors.
The incumbent provides executive level administrative management to both the Deputy Director of Planning-Current Planning & the Deputy Director of Planning-Long Range & Strategic Planning. These duties include: maintaining executive calendars; scheduling internal and external meetings including recruitment interviews and selection meetings, and other meetings on behalf of the Deputy Directors; co-ordinating travel and training arrangements for Deputy Directors and approvals for PDS Senior Management; ensuring that matters requiring immediate action are brought to the attention of the Deputy Directors; preparing and/or locating background information on issues and sensitive topics; drafting, editing and formatting various sensitive and confidential documents.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Deputy Directors of Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability. Key contacts include members of the City Leadership Team (CLT) members, PDS Senior Management team, the Administrative Manager, members of the development and building industries, external agencies and government representatives. Close and collaborative working relationship and coordination with the GM & the GM’s Executive Assistant.
- Proactively creates and maintains effective workflow and communications to accomplish the work of the Deputy Directors (DD) through handling of a variety of projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Manages the two (2) Deputy Director’s executive calendars and schedules. Works with multiple, competing and changing priorities to organize appointments, proactively resolve conflicts, and to ensure optimal use of Deputy Director’s time.
- Manages the flow of incoming and outgoing inquiries to Deputy Directors’ Office. Drafts, screens, reviews and edits sensitive and confidential correspondence of the Deputy Directors.
- Provides information and referrals based on a broad knowledge of the Deputy Director’s priorities, procedures and protocol.
- Makes decisions in the absence of the Deputy Directors such as determining if an issue needs to be forwarded to the GM or GM’s Executive Assistant, or may be dealt with by another senior leader.
- Communicates directly by telephone and e-mail, on behalf of the Deputy Directors with key internal and external stakeholders including development industry members, senior staff, senior government officials, and politicians and assists with responding to inqueries and requests.
- Manages and directs media calls (in conjunction with Communications) by determining the subject, deadlines and necessary/ appropriate follow through.
- Tracks and follows-up on items and inquiries, as required, and ensures that Deputy Directors’ responses to requests are completed in a timely manner.
- Manages scheduling and logistics for Planning Department Trainings/All Staff Meetings; provides support to various committees which the Deputy Directors may Chair.
- Sets, schedules, manages and prepares meeting logistics for the Deputy Directors divisional, senior management, all staff meetings/training including: agenda packages, arranges meeting dates/times/rooms, types and distributes minutes, follows up on action items and coordinates with the GM and the GM’s Executive Assistant on activities.
- Arranges logistics for the venue; secure agenda items and presentation slides, schedule presenters.
- Drafts, proofreads, and prepares communications, presentations, reports, on behalf of the Deputy Directors.
- Maintains the image of the Deputy Directors offices by ensuring that all correspondence and documentation prepared for the office adheres to a consistent and professional standard as identified by the incumbent and payments.
- Develops, organizes and maintains a comprehensive filing system for the Deputy Directors’ offices in accordance with the City's record management system. Monitors the DDs’ SharePoint site. Maintains databases; entering, updating, reviewing, extracting and researching data.
- Scheduling and tracking annual performance reviews for the senior management and GM’s office.
- Arranges travel and training for the Deputy Directors and processes related expense reimbursements.
- Mastercard Card Holder for the Department.
- Reconciles Mastercard expenditures by determining cost centres and account codes on a monthly basis before submitting to the Administrative Manager for approval.
- Expense reimbursement for Deputy Directors, including Professional Fees Reimbursements.
- Produces a variety of reports for the Deputy Directors by downloading information from databases (such as SAP) and organizing information for presentation and /or consideration. Assists in determining and meeting timelines for various tasks.
- Liaises with other staff, unions, government officials, legal counsel to share and exchange information as it relates to the Deputy Directors, manage complaints, and provide guidance as appropriate.
- Prepares, gathers and relays business information and material on a regular basis. Photocopies and distributes reports, presentations, correspondence, spreadsheets, and statistics as required.
- Departmental Record Coordinator (DRC)
- Understands Records Management protocols
- ensures Planning has enough DRCs to create case file folders in VanDocs
- ensures that staff are trained and know how to send older files off-site to Iron Mountain
- deals with Annual Disposition of Records and Transfers to Archives
- Provides back up coverage for the GM’s Executive Assistant.
- Under exceptional circumstances, provides back up coverage to the PDS Senior Management Team Administrative Assistant as requested by the Admin Manager via the Deputy Directors. Including job requisition processing and assisting with calendar management in their absence.
- Responsible for agendas and distribution of bi-weekly Planning-Engineering Coordination Committee materials.
- Coordinates the Planning Department’s Speakers Series.
- Point of contact for Freedom of Information (FOI) inquiries.
- Researching and analyzing projects as requested by Deputy Directors.
- Drafting and finalizing approvals for Professional Service Agreements for Consultants.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the GM, Deputy Directors.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- A diploma in Business Administration or a related field with at least 5 years working at a senior management level in an administrative capacity, preferably as an Executive Assistant or Office Manager.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills including an effective knowledge of correct punctuation, grammatical usage and a comprehensive vocabulary for preparation of business letters, reports and statements.
- Superior clerical, mathematical, and statistical aptitude and accuracy; thorough knowledge of MS Office programs including (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); ability with VanDocs, Sharepoint, OH&S database, Incident database, SAP; SuccessFactors, E-CAFs, E-SAFs, E-HAFs, etc.; research abilities; familiarity with standard office equipment (printers, voicemail, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to explain and apply City programs, policies, procedures, and collective agreements.
- Ability to exercise discretion and deal with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a high volume environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across the organization.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Ability to research and collate a variety of data and issues.
- Ability to use a multitude of office equipment.
- Proficient in the use computer programs including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and scheduling programs.
All City of Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December, 2021
Application Close: November 12, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.