New job System Administrator (New grads Welcome!) in Ontario
System Administrator (New grads Welcome!)
Company : Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Canadian Bank Note Company is a global leader in the development of customized solutions for identification, border security, excise control, currency, and lottery operations. Our customers are domestic and foreign governments, and together we work to design, launch and support the technologically advanced secure documents and information systems that protect borders, safeguard national currencies, and generate revenue for government social initiatives.
What’s In It For You?
As a System Administrator in the ID Software Development group at CBN, you will have the chance to develop, broaden and apply your System Administration skillset as you work on highly customized, complex security solutions for our government customers throughout North America, the Caribbean and around the world. When travel is safe again you’ll even have the chance to travel to these locations during the deployment and stabilization periods. The Caribbean in February? Yes, please!
CBN is an organization that is predicated upon continuous improvement, and that extends to our employees. We want to see you grow and will support you in that pursuit. You’ll also get to play with some pretty cool technologies along the way!
What Will You Do?
You’ll be responsible for the full cycle of configuration and virtualization of server hardware, deployment and tune-up of OS and system software, writing scripts to automate deployment of CBN and third party software during the development cycle and then supporting the system through the deployment and stabilization period. More specifically, you will:
- Create and maintain system environments. Develop Puppet classes and templates to automate server environments installation and configuration; deploy software that ensures compatible versions of frontend and backend database software and configuration; maintain functional development and test environments; troubleshoot system issues and liaise with developers and testers to pinpoint issues and provide fixes.
- Deploy systems. Calculate the hardware requirements for the size of the database and system required and then install and configure the production system locally in advance of shipping to customer site. Travel to customer site to for deployment of hardware and system launch. Provide training and support to Developers and local service providers.
- Provide system support through stabilization period. Stabilize the system and fix performance issues by monitoring and responding to production alerts pro-actively and provide support for any issues. Tune live systems and deploy software updates as required. Write system documentation and then handover to the Support team once stabilized.
What Will Help You Succeed?
Success in this position will require a diversified set of skills, attained either through education or relevant work experience. Beneficial technical knowledge sets are listed below – but don’t despair if you don’t have them all – so long as you are passionate about technology and have an appetite for learning, we still want to hear from you!
- OS (deploy/harden): Linux; Windows Server;
- Hardware: Servers; Storage (SAN/NAS), Switches, Routers, VLAN;
- Virtualization: VMWare;
- Trust/Encryption/Protocols: Active directory, Kerberos, LDAP, TLS, Bitlocker, LUKS;
- Software (deploy/troubleshoot/tune): Apache, Tomcat, Java/JVM;
- Configuration Mgmt. Software: Puppet;
- Scripting: Bash, Powershell, Ruby;
- Tools: Git, OpenSSL, tcpdump, Wireshark, PowerCLI, Sysinternals Suite
- Continuous learner;
- Time management;
- Interpersonal skills;
- The ability to obtain and maintain Government of Canada Secret (Level II) clearance;
- The ability to travel domestically/internationally (when it is safe to do so) and participate in an on-call program;
- A passion and love of technology!
People who enjoy variety and think beyond their job descriptions succeed here. As part of the team at CBN, your job is to take your career in new directions and be part of our customer’s success stories. So, if you’re looking for the chance to work for a global technology company, explore new opportunities, and deliver exceptional work to your customers, we want to hear from you!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited is committed to achieving a skilled and diversified workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. We encourage applications from women, visible minorities, people with disabilities and Aboriginal people. Canadian Bank Note Company Limited is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodation measures you may require.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations