New job Senior Technical Analyst (Computer Services Officer 4) in Nova Scotia
Senior Technical Analyst (Computer Services Officer 4)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $5,827 - $6,844 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 10/1/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS) is a new organization within the Government of Nova Scotia, with a mission to change the way government interacts with citizens. Our team is large, diverse, and passionate about making a difference in citizens' lives. We believe in user-centred iterative digital service design and practice internet-era ways of working.
We are looking for an internet-era individual who wants to help deliver services to the provincial government as well as our Nova Scotia Health Authority and IWK Health Care Centre partners. We are interested in candidates who thrive in an environment where a focus on excellence, identifying new approaches and solutions and continual service improvement drive us towards delivering quality services.
About Our Opportunity
Reporting to the Manager, Server Operations, the Senior Technical Analyst (Computer Services Officer 4) will provide technical leadership to the Linux Server team. You will provide guidance to users and managers, leading and supervising analysts and specialists to ensure the technology meets or exceeds the needs and requirements of our users.
Being the senior resource on the team, you will:
- Provide Tier 3 level technical support by providing deployment and support services for infrastructure running the Linux operating system. This includes ensuring the stability, reliability, and resilience of the entire Linux Server landscape, which may host web-based applications and databases as well as business productivity software, clinical applications, and other services. This role will act as a lead within the team on diagnosing complex situations and implementing corrective action to ensure timely resolution of IT issues.
- Lead and/or participate in the development and maintenance of the architecture of enterprise/corporate services, which includes vision, policies, guidelines, standards, reference models and tools. These services will be used across the government and by our partners.
- Supervise, set priorities, and monitor the efficiency of a team of specialists and analysts, ensuring that users' needs and requirements are met and service levels are attained.
- Develop and implement IT guidelines and procedures for their area of expertise, keeping in line with the objectives of NSDS to ensure consistency and reliability of services.
- Develop IT standards in conjunction with other Senior Technical Analysts/Technical Architects to align the work methods of NSDS, ensuring that services are effective and timely.
- Analyze trends in IT issues and performs root cause analysis to provide sound long-term solutions while considering the impact on other areas.
- Develop, modify, or enhance administrative applications and/or electronic tools to facilitate and improve services.
- Provide expert advice and training on the optimal use of computing infrastructure to increase effective and efficient use by clients.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in computer science plus five (5) years of related experience; or graduation from a recognized Information Technology Program plus five (5) years and six (6) months of related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be acceptable.
Extensive experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and/or Solaris as well as applications such as the Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform, Red Hat Satellite, Centrify, Splunk, and Zabbix or other technical certifications such as ITIL Foundations would be considered assets.
You must demonstrate a high degree of logical problem-solving ability with well-developed oral and written communication skills. Experience in Project Management and Change Management and working on ticketing systems is considered an asset. You must also demonstrate that you can lead and contribute to the development of an IT support team by working well with a diverse array of people both inside and outside the team.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules (FlexNS).
Pay Grade: PR 17
Salary Range: $2,913.59 - $3,421.98 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.