New job Program Manager, Recreation and Facilities - Fort Chipewyan (Permanent) in Alberta
Program Manager, Recreation and Facilities - Fort Chipewyan (Permanent)
Company : Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Salary : $12,480 a year
Location : Alberta
Position Type/ Hours:
This is a permanent full-time position working seventy (70) hours bi-weekly within the Fort Chipewyan Hamlet Branch of the Public Works Department. This position is located within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo in the rural community of Fort Chipewyan, approximately 223 Kilometers north of Fort McMurray.
The Program Manager, Recreation and Facilities is responsible for providing direct support to the Director, Public Works for facility operations and maintenance and for the delivery of community recreation and social programming. The incumbent manages and schedules the recreation, social programming, and facilities maintenance staff for assigned municipal Fort Chipewyan facilities and programs. Utilizing effective leadership and management skills, maintains excellent relations with the public and promotes high quality customer service within the community. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Operational Management: Assists the Director, Public Works with overall program service delivery. Manages through direct involvement in daily operations, budgeting, and strategic planning of overall design and deployment of department initiatives, ensures all programs are developed according to legislation, industry standards, and best practices. Exercising good judgment and superior project and contract management skills, incumbent will communicate and build relationships with user groups, industry, staff, and vendors. Manages issues within facilities and communicates issues to the Director, Public Works for direction/coordination of resolution
Leadership and Guidance: Supervises, mentors and coaches other team members and staff. Works as a team and plans and balances the work load of subordinates. Applies corporate values consistently and fairly to ensure that work processes are followed and coordinated to maximize service level delivery, while promoting a sense of team. Assists in the recruitment and training of staff. Maintains a focus on collaboration across vendors, contractors, municipal staff, community groups, industry and First Nations and Metis communities. Ensures community stakeholder engagement is properly managed through already established channels. Prepares regular updates for the Director and other RMWB senior management as required.
Research and Implementation of Strategies: Participates in the continuous research, development and implementation of departmental strategies, tools and guidelines. Continuously strives for improvement by monitoring and analyzing programs to determine the optimal service delivery for the community; balancing customer service and fiscal responsibility. Consults with and informs the public, community user groups, and other stakeholders of facilities operations and programs. Routinely inspects work in progress and advises crews of required changes. Reviews and advises on the maintenance and issuance of tools, equipment, supplies, and materials required for the operation and maintenance of all facilities. Ensures staff are adhering to municipal purchasing and event planning procedures.
- Diploma in Recreation or Sport Management, Facilities Management, Business Administration or similar education in a related field is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in facilities maintenance and operations, or recreation and social programing in public environment with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a supervisory/leadership role.
- Experience working in a municipal environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- A valid Alberta Class Five (5) operator’s licence is required.
You will possess the following:
- Knowledge of all equipment and processes used in facilities operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of, and experience with public recreation and social programs.
- Highly developed analytical, critical thinking, communication and interpersonal skills, and political awareness and sensitivity.
- Proven ability to be discreet, keep all information and documentation strictly confidential; respectfully and sensitively resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, providing quality customer service to multiple stakeholders including but not limited to: managers, employees, leaders, community groups, organizations and various levels of government.
- Ability to navigate through situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, political sensitivity and/or simultaneous demands.
- Well-developed contract management competencies.
- Proficient in various computer programs (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and SAP).
- Based out of an office in Fort Chipewyan, this position will require occasional business travel to other communities within the region and the use of a personal or municipal vehicle for travel purposes.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance
September 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM
Internal & External (Posted: September 11, 2021)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.